Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Ha Ha Ha - yes sure dialect. Its wonderful either way Henry :^)
And music is the common language here.

ACCENT vs DIALECT

NEUTRALITY vs COLORATIONS

What a great hobby
Dear Halcro: I could listen to you reading the phone book and find it gripping. You speak with a deliberateness and cadence of several philosophy professors I know. Put differently, you're the John Gielgud of the audio world.

More videos!
Dear Thuchan: I think you have a wrong concept of neutrality/accuracy on audio devices.

IMHO any audio device should let pass the LP/cartridge signal " untouched " and this means with accuracy/neutrality: IF THINGS ARE THAT THE THE TRACKS ON THAT LP ARE WARM/COLD/LIVELY/DYNAMICS/BRIGHT/DULL/DARK/ AND THE LIKE WHAT SUPPOSE THAT ANY AUDIO DEVICE/AUDIO LINK IN THE WHOLE AUDIO SYSTEM CHAIN MUST DO IS TO PASS ALL THOSE LP MUSIC RECORDED CHARACTERISTICS WITH NO ADDED DISTORTIONS/COLORATIONS BUT WITH ACCURACY/NEUTRALITY.

ALL THOSE MUSIC RECORDED CHARACTERISTICS came/comes in the LP and in theory are not part or be/bee need development by the audio links: what you hear must be what is in the recording: adding NOTHING!!!!! or do you think that your system is so good that can improve what comes in the recording?, no way my friend no system can do it!

Do you think that all those additional " stuff " in your Micro Seiki improves the sound?, NO only change and add different distortions with no real improvement.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Tony, What I meant was that in direct-drive turntables, the motor, the drive system (aka servo), and the platter together form a closed system. So indeed the mass of the platter has everything to do with it. If you don't see what I mean, try removing the platter from a direct-drive turntable. The result will be a pronounced herky-jerky motion as the servo goes searching for its proper load. If you dramatically increase the mass of the platter (yes, "m"), the servo can get similarly screwy, slow to correct for off-speed moments, but it is less easy to see. It is the servo that tells the motor "how much acceleration is enough" to get back to equilibrium.

None of this is to contradict what you say about LPs with off-center holes (i.e., most of them). That's a big, important, and separate issue.
Thanks Dover, Chris, Thuchan & Banquo,
I appreciate your encouragement :^)...... John Gielgud (blush).
Dover is from New Zealand.....so of course I sound like an orator to him:^)

I was going to follow up with a video of the Raven AC-3 under test.......but I don't think it's fair?
Everyone can test his own turntable once armed with the Timeline.
There will be some shocks?