Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
I vote a moratorium on these endless circular arguments over the merits and demerits of this or that drive mechanism. Lets just see how various ones of them work according to Timeline. But in general, a good direct-drive motor WiLL have more torque than a good belt-drive motor. However I will not claim that this per se makes one better or worse than the other.

I am also wracking my brain to think whether I know anyone who can test the Timeline out of context (meaning not by using a turntable). Some sort of light-sensitive timer is needed.
This is an interesting discussion with philosophical, theoretical and practical elements. I am not in any way an advanced thinker or practitioner on things analog. However, I don't think anyone has addressed these issues with respect to a mylar tape drive, which is essentially inelastic. I will say that I believe that unless you have perfect pitch, I would think that it would be better to have a TT whose speed has better precision than accuracy. IOW, within certain bounds, speed stability is more important than speed accuracy. A table that runs at 33.6 rpm, +/- 0.05 rpm, would be preferable to a table that runs at 33.3 rpm, +/- 0.5 rpm. I made those #s up to illustrate my point; I have no idea how audible those variations would be but I hope you get my point.
Dear Swampy, Halcro may be trying to tell you that we have covered the territory of your query, and "we" tend to agree with you, I think. I certainly do.
Halcro Good work and thank you for your time spent on this.

I know that I am pitch sensitive and I believe it is most important perceptual feature in music.
Which is why I have never been satisfied with any of the belt drive turntables that I have owned so far.