How do I remove gunk from a Lyra Delos cartridge?

I was getting distortion at times when playing lps.Last week I took the turntable to a high end store in Manhattan and they said they would see if they could locate the problem.Everything checked out fine,but they did find what they called gunk on the stylus that you can only see with a magnifying glass and that they were unable to remove the gunk.The store is not a Lyra dealer so maybe they were being cautious when trying to remove the gunk because they did not want to take the chance of damaging the stylus.I will be going to the store tomorrow and I will ask them what methods they used to try and remove the gunk.If someone can give me some advice on removing the gunk I would appreciate it or if you think I would be better off getting in touch with the manufacturer.I'm worried about damage to the stylus. My turntable is a VPI 19 MKiii with a Audioquest PT-6 tonearm.I am thinking about upgrading to a VPI 9 Signature or getting a new turntable if it is more cost efficent. Thanks
montgomery
Where did u buy it from? That dealer can work with audioquest (local distributor) to get it fixed. Or just contact audioquest directly.

Just curious, what fluids are u using with your 16.5? I wonder if something here or on a certain lp got the junk on your stylus...
I re-read your post and there are several things that you could clarify in order to provide meaningful advice. First, you say you got distortion "at times." Was this distortion correlated with anything like crescendos, loud passages, inner grooves, outer grooves? Any commonality of playback conditions when this distortion occurred? Second, were you cleaning your stylus prior to the noticed distortion and accumulation of gunk? Third, was this gunk accumulation evenly distributed on the stylus or was it an accumulation that was centered around the upper part of the diamond where it meets the shank? Any accumulation of debris I've ever seen has always been where the stylus meets the shank, the actual stylus has been pretty clean. Even the nasty used cartridge with the stylus gunk I mentioned earlier played and sounded just fine, as all the debris was above the stylus/record interface.
Hi Jfrech,
I bought the Lyra from Acoustic Sounds.I called Audioquest yesterday but the person who answered the phone said that the person I needed to talk to would not be in until some time next week.I was using the fluid that was included with the 16.5 when I bought it.I recently got a bottle of the Mo-Fi super record wash but I have not used it yet.Looking forward to the day when I will be washing and listening to lps again. Thanks
I just got back from Lyric Hi-Fi.Before putting it in the box Bob Herman with stylus pointing upward had me look at the stylus with a magnifying glass.You can definitely see something is stuck on upper left side of the stylus and I would guess this is what is causing the distortion problem.If Bob with all of his turntable experience could not get the gunk or whatever it is off I am definitely not going to give it a try for fear of damage to stylus.So if I don't hear from Jonathan Carr I will give Audioquest a call this week.A big thanks to Bob Herman of Lyric Hi-Fi for taking the time to inspect my turntable.Thanks everyone for your responses
I had a similar problem. The MoFi and Clearaudio liquids do an excellent job. Make sure you don't have a new build-up in a week or so.