Oil For Nottingham Spacedeck?

Is it safe and effective to use any other oil (and preferably less expensive) besides the oil from Nottingham in the bearing well of the table that the platter settles into? I just purchased a used Spacedeck and am going through it to make sure all is as it should be.

Thanks
anovak
Quality Service Audio www.qsaudio.nl, produces EOM turntable lubricants.
I use it in my Spacedeck incl. heavy kit with great succes!
Send them an E-mail with respect to prices and dekivery.

Frans de Kok
The oil's viscosity may be different. There are other oils cheaper to use, but will it affect the speed (faster with thinner oil or slower with heavier oil)?
I should point something out here.

The main deal with the oil is to prevent the bearing from failing. I have heard rumours that some manufacturers use the oil to produce drag on their drive system so that their speed controls will work properly. I don't know if the Nottingham does that BTW, but such use of oil is a mistake. It should be obvious why- misapplication will cause the speed control to not function ideally, and there is no way to know once the unit ships from the factory that its working right!

So, from an engineering point of view, that idea is flawed and something that no-one should do on account of poor reliability and repeatability. Thus, a proper oil that protects the bearing is what is needed. The Dextron I mentioned does this beautifully- I have used it in professional tape deck bearings and all sorts of turntables over the last 35 years. I have yet to run into a situation where it did not work splendidly. You can pay $100/bottle if you want, but I would not be surprised to find that the oil thus obtained is very similar.
Thanks, folks. Atmasphere, where would you turn to get step-by-step instructions on how to properly set up a NA Spacearm and deck? See my other thread on this site where I asked the question but did not get much feedback. Thanks again.

Anovak
I have a PDF of the circa 2008 NA Dealer manual that covers all their turntables. Email me at rdoorack at yahoo dot com and I'll send it to you.