Screw-down reflex clamps vs. record weights

Recently we have seen more and more 'record weights' on the market. These are normally lightweight(300-400gr)and simply sit on the record. They do not appear to give priority to bonding the record to the platter.
Two outstanding record weights of this type are the Kuzma Ebony Record Weight and the HiFi Tuning VRO ('vinyl resonance optimiser') - there is a review of this(for those who read German) at www.fairaudio.de.
It appears that these clamps, rather than channelling disc resonances away through the spindle and main bearing and/or optimising contact between the record and the platter surface, seek to absorb them directly (i.e. into the clamp itself).
The Kuzma Ebony is a particularly interesting case since it has been introduced by a company that supplies screw-down reflex clamps as standard on its high-end turntables.
My question is: has anybody had any experience of these clamps - probably 'vinyl resonance tuners' is a more appropriate term - on their turntables as replacements for screw-down reflex clamps? Clearly as a way of dealing with warped or dished records they will not be of much use, but it may be that they do a better job of damping the disc.
I would be particularly interested to hear of experiences involving SME turntables (whose platters incidentally are covered with a bonded layer of 'Isodamp' damping material).
Thanks,
Peter
pgtaylor
Redglobe--I know what you mean and it's possible that the openness I'm hearing is illusory. I'll have to listen further. My rebuilt Lenco has a metcrylate mat bonded to the platter, reducing resonance. But that doesn't mean it's been eliminated. On the other hand, the clamp sounds pretty good so far.
If you have a light platter/suspended chassis, a light weight or clamp probably is the way to go....if a big, solid turntable, a heavier weight is probably right.....however, you will never really know until you try each kind for yourself.
Some of the comments above demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of clamps/weights. You have to look at the total picture, in particular what is under the record.
Example
Record weights do little to bond the record to the platter, so they presumably are not in the business of optimising resonance-damping through this interface.
Real answer is - That depends on what is under the record.

Some clamps/weights are designed with a slightly concave platter or platter mat and the downward force couples the record to the mat.
Examples here are
Goldmund clamp/mat - reflex clamp with concave mat
VPI Classic - screw clamp with concave platter
Most heavy weights will help couple the record to the platter if the platter is slightly concave

Some clamps/weights are designed to work with a washer under the record. These will have a peripheral edge that applies pressure to just inside the outside edge of the record label such that the clamp/weight when applied couples the record to the platter/mat.
Examples are -
Sota Reflex Clamp - uses a washer under the record.
Final Audio VSD17 - a 1.8kg weight with a peripheral edge that uses washers under the record.

When I look at most of the clamps or weights on offer, then, unless they are used in conjunction with a concave platter/mat or washer they will do very little or nothing. They might possibly help reduce any slippage of the record during play. If all they do is reduce "resonance or vibration" then a potato impaled on the spindle might be just as effective.

There are some caveats as as been pointed out above -
Use of a heavy weight with a suspended deck may impede the performance of the deck.
Use of a heavy weight may accelerate bearing wear if the bearing quality is poor or not designed for heavy mass.
Dont assume anything here, I have seen bearings on the some much vaunted TT's that are made out of junk metal. Check your oil after a few months - if its dirty, then your bearing is wearing out.

On the subject of mats one of the most ill informed reviews I read recently in an online magazine did a shoot off of mats on a Garrard where they compared leather, copper & carbon mats. Well anyone that has owned a Garrard should know that Garrard platters are slightly concave and unless you have had the platter top skimmed, then any hard mat is only supported at the outside edge and would most likely sound awful. No mention of this in the review. No wonder people in this hobby get led up the garden path.

Thanks, Dover, for the “complete lack of understanding of clamps/weights”.
If you reread the sentence that you quote in its context, you will realise that I am making a distinction between ‘clamps’ (= devices that grip the spindle either by screwing down onto it or by holding it in a sort of vice - like the Sota - and use this grip to apply pressure to the record and bond it to the platter, whatever the shape of the latter) and ‘weights’ (= devices that simply sit on the record, grip nothing, and apply no pressure other than that created by their 350g weight).
My question concerned ‘record weights’ in this sense, and was directed at those who have experience of them. It was: given that these weights clearly do not give priority to binding the disc to the platter, but given also that the record and the platter are nevertheless in contact, to what extent will the nature of the platter affect the functioning of these weights? The aim of the question: to clarify whether these weights do their job irrespective of the platter material or shape (personally I would be rather surprised if this were the case).
The HiFi Tuning VRO weight actually stands on three pin-like feet (two in wood and the third in platinum); the main body of the weight is not in contact with the record. Have a look: http://positive-feedback.com/Issue52/analog.htm
My Kuzma Stabi Ref. has, what Dover called a washer, and the screw-down clamp. Because the shassis is suspended I always use the clamp despite the fact that I don't like
the whole procedure. Besides one need to switch on and off those 'small motors' each time. I considered the Ebony weight but am confused by 2 different 'philosophies' involved while the price would make me look stupid in my own self-perception if the weight is as Syntax think it is: nonsense. BTW thanks Syntax you saved me 600 Euro.
For my SP-10 which already got a present from me in the form of the impressive SAEC SS 300 'mat' I use the Orsonic DS-200 G 'stabilizer'. This little gem make much sense to
me because many LP's are 'concave' so my friend Dover should not only look for what is 'under' the records but also at the records. Or so I thougt.

Regards,