Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
The original Timeline flashes once every 1.8 seconds (1 revolution). The latest version, which is at least about a year old, flashes eight times every 1.8 seconds.

Tonywinsc,
I don't know how much faith I have in the accuracy of an iphone microphone!
Peterayer,

A distance for sure is important, I have been doing this very easily for a while now and if the table isn't close to a wall I just use 2 light rulers and tape them to the back of the table stand along with a pce of paper between the two with a pce of painters and a dark line on such so it's very easy to view between so it's under 2 ft

All the tables I have tested, no worry about waiting for 20 minutes either. Most failed within a few rotations even after using the TimeLine to actually try and set the speed accuratly. I found most tables were not capable to be set for accurate speed.

Using the strob, numerous tables that were used and then rechecked with the TimeLine proved the TimeLine is a more accurate devise and all these tables failed within 10 or so rotations either too slow or too fast and that was with no stylus even on the record.

This has really left me scratching my head.
I have an FFT analyzer app on my iPhone. I used a B&K calibrated 1000Hz test tone and the FFT plot was dead on. It is about the frequency counter tied to the internal clock. I don't know the accuracy, but I figure it must be within the range of the timeline- quartz crystal clocks inside their processors.
Yes, and the closer the dot on the wall or paper is to the Timeline pointof origin, the harder it will be to for the eye to detect any drift. So if it looks fine at 18" it may be apparent at 10 feet over time that the speed is off.

I agree with Jazdoc's observation that as long as one is very close to accurate speed other issues are very important. IE, How the turntable deals with vibrational energy generated from the motor, the bearing, airborn, floorborn, the stylus/groove interface, the armboard etc. It is not clear to me that absolutely perfect speed accuracy and consistency is the most important characteristic of a turntable.
My thoughts on my direct rim drive is that it's torque is of a magnitude greater than comparable belt drives which rely on platter mass and momentum to maintain speed.
The Salvation's high torque smooths out the speed inconsistency I became more and more aware of with my belt Orbe. This enables the Salvation to deal with groove modulation effects much better than my Orbe.
It's been a total revelation to hear piano notes solid as a rock when struck and as the note decays. My Orbe never quite managed this trick.
I'm convinced eliminating groove modulation timing variability eliminates a whole series of artificial warmth artifacts, and allows a real cognitive ease when listening to vinyl.
But Pete, I'm sure you're correct other factors eg isolation etc. contribute to the overall sound. However my paradigm shift moving from belt drive has convinced me that high torque average speed stability and instantaneous resistance to groove modulation is critical.