Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Thank you Peter,
When I saw that Timeline video using the Transrotor turntable.......it was also the first time that I was able to appreciate the effects of stylus drag.
It's hard to imagine anyone claiming that 'speed control' was inconsequential after viewing it?
Regards
Richardkrebs,

very informative, thanks for taking the time to post.

I have learned first hand that specific tables I have either owned and/or have listened to don't meet even your number 1), not sure about the other two.

I do like what you wrote that tables need to;

1) have absolute speed stability under all load conditions.
2) have absolute dimensional stability between platter and arm support.
3) be absolutely still, with total immunity from external movement.

Can you or anyone else please provide a list of tables that actually meet and pass these requirements
Halcro,

I recall your video prior on another thread and that's exactly what I'm referring to, thanks for sharing that again.

You also answered my question in relation to how many turns should it be by lowering the three stylus onto the record, doesn't matter!

So we have one table that clearly demonstrats it holds accurate speed, any others? I'm very curious to see.

Can you show the results for your TW table, non of mine including the flagship BK would hold an accurate speed.
Viridian, you wrote:
"So......you listen to turntables professionally? Where can I apply for that job?"

sorry for my late reply. It was a kind of replic to all these guys who still believe that in the studios (so called professionals) they used pro-gear but these units could'nt be well designed or appropriate for us audiophiles. Maybe the biggest mistake ever made!

This is why some people still believe good idlers make noises only - the next biggest mistake.

I am using three other belt drives (MS and Continuum) and believe they sound terrific, not only because of the drive. I also loved my Nakamichi DD but to be very honest the best investment I ever made was my EMT R80 idler drive playing with a TSD 15 Anniversary via a Western Electric 618B SUT.

So maybe the job you are applying for is already booked, nevertheless if you are close by to Munich we could arrange an exchange, maybe I can learn something.

all the best
Richardkrebs
Yes I agree on moving away from which is best to what do we need.
Mosins previous posts on motors used in various idler drives for example would indicate to me that you cant even put Garrard 301/401's in the same camp as say the EMT 927 - I'm not saying one is better, more that the motor drives are completely different in motor characteristics, use of motor flywheels/eddy brakes, distribution of mass in the platter etc. So the fact that they are both idlers is all they have in common.

With regard to my stylus drag testing I wanted to test two things -
1. Does my TT deal effectively with stylus drag
2. How accurate is my KAB speed checker ( assuming the Timeline is more accurate ).
I have always set the speed with a record playing using the KAB speedstrobe.
Some folk on the forum reckoned they couldn't see stylus drag with the KAB.

So my test procedure was :
1. Set the speed with the KAB with no record playing.
2. Use the Timeline to validate the speed at both inner at outer grooves.
3. Reset the speed again with the KAB with the record playing tracking at 2g
4. Use the Timeline to validate the speed at both inner at outer grooves.

In both instances the TT passed the Timeline test and also confirmed that my KAB was accurate. The Timeline indicated no errors when using the KAB.
As for consistancy of stylus drag - presumably stylus drag has record groove modulation, stylus pressure, antiskate forces all contributing.
All I can say is with my TT the inner/outer grooves made no difference as verified with the Timeline and with the KAB, running the record as far as it would go, the KAB remain rock steady.

I suppose the next step might be to set the speed using a flute concerto and check whether you get through a Mahler Symphony or Reference Recordings Dafos on time without speed correction to quantity that differential.

The point I take from your Goldmund example is that you are suggesting that mass alone will not provide stability with a motor that simply doesn't have enough torque to start with.