Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Halcro,

Thanks a lot! I was actually waiting to respond until I had some time to really study your results so I wouldn't ask any stupid questions, but all I have done so far was to take a quick look. So, a stupid question.

Is the app capable of outputting frequency versus time data instead of a graph? It might be interesting to see changes over very small units of time. When I requested the test, I thought it might be useful in seeing micro speed changes, but I'm not sure if that will be possible. What do you think?

the DD table seems to like a little more load perhaps

Does your DD table have an oil filled bearing well? If it actually does like a little more load on it, it might be possible to improve its speed stability by using a higher viscosity oil. This is getting interesting!
Have any of you thought it ironic that the speed checking disc and software you are using to evaluate stylus drag and its impact on speed stability is supplied by a company that sells rubber belt drive turntables. Creepy eh.
Richard/Lew,
I have added no mass to either the Victor or the Raven turntables.
In fact....I am playing the TT-101 WITHOUT the standard rubber mat. A 1mm thick sheet of pigskin being the only separation between vinyl and aluminium platter.
With the Raven...I am playing the records sitting directly on the copper platter top-plate.

Ketchup,
it might be possible to improve its speed stability by using a higher viscosity oil.
Have you seen my video of the TT-101 with the three tonearms going up and down monitored with the Timeline?
I have seen no visual evidence of any other turntable equalling this degree of accuracy and speed stability?
Did you note the 3150 Hz frequency on the Feickert sine-wave test with 2 tonearms on the platter?
How much improvement do you visualise?
Halcro

The reason for my question was that it is popular to add significant inertia via metal aftermarket mats. The thought is that this can screw with the servo, which if excessive, it should. I was curious, given the tight control, spot on frequency, if any significant change to the platters inertia had been made.
Great result.
Richard and Henry, Well actually Henry has made a change to platter inertia, in the downward direction, by removing the platter mat. I am guessing, based on my DP80, that the Victor OEM platter mat is a rubber one. If it's like the DP80 platter mat, it weighs a bit more than half a pound. The pigskin mat probably weighs far less. Now that Henry has this measurement system up and running, it would be very informative indeed if he/you could repeat your experiment with the OEM rubber mat in place, so see what happens to those notches. Then also you could do experiments with some of those very heavy aftermarket mats, e.g., the ones made by TT Weights if you have one lying around, to see just how much and at what point extra weight affects the servo. (Or just stack a bunch of LPs on the platter.) We've been talking about the possible effects of hi-mass platter mats here for years, with no actual data.

This is all about speed stability, servos, and the like. I have no doubt that the TT101 probably sounds better with the pigskin mat than it does with its OEM mat. Same holds for the DP80, on which I use a Boston Audio mat.