Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Richard,
I did try a Micro Seiki Cu180 copper platter mat as a replacement to the original rubber mat on the Victor TT-101 DD deck.....and heard a definite improvement.
The trouble was not audibly discernible with the servo correction mechanism....as you and Chris allude to.....but the 'brake' mechanism of the TT-101 was not able to handle the added mass of the platter when the 'stop' button was pressed.
This certainly worried me as, like Chris......I did not wish to stuff my perfectly working TT-101 for a slight improvement in performance?
After much experimentation......I found that the Victor pigskin mat laid directly on the aluminium platter......sounded as close as damn-it to the 1.8Kg copper mat without affecting the 'brake' mechanism one iota?

Go figure......?
One thing all this testing has shown IMHO......is that the performance of belt-drive turntables in general.....and the Raven AC in particular.....can be surprisingly good?
Just study all the test data in comparison to the TT-101 (which is demonstratively as good as it gets from an 'objective' point of view)....and those who bemoan the inability of their Ravens to 'hold' correct speed, should re-assess their set-ups?

I suspect that the big Micros and Dover's Final belt drives can be even better than the Raven in this aspect....which would push them even closer to the speed-accuracy performance the best DD turntables?
Richardkrebs,

Just a little plug here. Customers of both MK2 and MK3 upgrades have universally noted a marked improvement in percieved speed stability.

How is this possible ? For the last 5 days you have argued that the SP10mk3 is impervious to stylus drag and to substantiate this you quoted the manufacturers specifications.
Do you think the specifications are erroneous ?
Are there other speed stability issues, not related to stylus drag that you are aware of ?
Halcro -
I'm a bit like you - the Raven doesn't look that bad. When you study their website, the motor supposedly has some accuracy, and the belt is elastic, so presumably the steepness of the initial drop will be due to the elasticity.
I have listened to the Raven - but not played with it, I gather some have said that the speed issue is more around that the adjustment is stepped, and you cant get it spot on ??
Techdas on your shopping list for this year ? Retro EMT idler will go nicely with the classic Porsche. You do need more TT's for all those arms dont you.

Dover,
Techdas looks interesting........if not 'Classic' material?..although I was surprised to see no comments on its 'sound' from anyone at CES?
Can't wait for Fremer's review coming shortly and I can see Thuchan having one if it's positive?
I simply have no real-estate for another turntable?
Thuchan has been at me for ever to buy a big Micro like the SX-8000.....and I've never heard a good idler...but again....Thuchan does love his EMT?

If I could find a turntable that looks as fine as THIS...and sounds as well as THIS and performs as well as THIS......I might buy one?

Regards