Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Dover,
Techdas looks interesting........if not 'Classic' material?..although I was surprised to see no comments on its 'sound' from anyone at CES?
Can't wait for Fremer's review coming shortly and I can see Thuchan having one if it's positive?
I simply have no real-estate for another turntable?
Thuchan has been at me for ever to buy a big Micro like the SX-8000.....and I've never heard a good idler...but again....Thuchan does love his EMT?

If I could find a turntable that looks as fine as THIS...and sounds as well as THIS and performs as well as THIS......I might buy one?

Regards
How about this ... very retro....very rare Fidelity Research idler....as Syntax would say the quiet rumble of the London Underground on every record can be comforting...

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KW/G0301/E/450-10/C12-65456-39066-00/
Ha ha,
Never seen or heard of that idler before?
In fact......didn't know that Fidelity Research made ANY turntables?
Dover

I do not think that the published specs for the SP10 are wrong.....There is no measurable speed change due to stylus drag.
I have alluded to another problem with speed stability in DD TTs that is unrelated to stylus drag or cogging. See my earlier posts. This problem can be fixed. It is related to the method in which the TT measures its own speed. Get this wrong and we have problems. It occurs at much higher frequencies and at a much lower level than the overt cogging and stylus drag phenomena.
Taking it away however is dramatic.
It also shows that we can perceive timing problems well below the threshold of measuring instruments.
What a great thread! I tune out for a couple of weeks and almost miss the best thread in ages.
Halcro: Here are the results from my DIY dd turntable. I used the motor and electronics from a Revox B790 which is based on the dual eds but with more sophisticated electronics with a platter from a feickert tt. https://picasaweb.google.com/114629926159017275364/MyPictures?authkey=Gv1sRgCLqX-P6Iw6SUdA#
Hope the link works.
Your results for the tt101 are interesting but more telling (as you have multiple arms) would be to place the smaller feickert test disc on top of a (heavily modulated?) 12" lp and play the lp with one arm and the test disc with another. This will give us a picture of what's going on in real time under dynamic conditions.
I proposed this a while ago on the tt speed accuracy thread.