Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Keep in mind too, like I said before; the Timeline needs to run for several hours on your tt in order to get a reasonable data set for evaluation. You need thousands of rotations to conclude anything in the 0.01% range or else you will be seeing those fairies dancing around.

Tony,

I said this earlier in the thread:
If your Timeline was 31" from a wall, a speed error of .01% would appear as a 0.02" (0.5mm) laser deviation per revolution.

So, if you played a 20 minute record side, the platter would have made 666.66 revolutions. 666.66 * 0.02" = a total deviation during that one record side of 13.3". What if the total deviation was half that (6.65")? Your speed error is 0.005%. What if it was a quarter (3.25")? Your speed error is 0.0025%.
Hi Ketchup,
The fewer data points that you have, then the higher the standard deviation which let's say is increased uncertainty. Just the fact that you are going to make two 0.100" pencil marks 0.02" apart is going to add to the measurement error. A few hours of running time will make the marks far enough apart to at least minimize the pencil mark measurement error.
Ok, you have a measurement after 666 revolutions. Go ahead and let it run for a few hours and see if your results are the same. The results might look worse, or they might look better, but I doubt they will be exactly the same. (I've been known to eat my words before). :)
I used to think I was normal until I heard a difference in power cords. Why oh why did that have to happen to me.
Tony,

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say. There is no problem or error with the pencil marks. You make one mark on the wall at the beginning of the record and you make another mark on the wall at the end of the record and measure between them. If the two marks are 3.25" apart after 20 minutes and your turntable's spindle is 31" from the wall, your total speed error over those 20 minutes is 0.0025%.

I haven't even tried aftermarket power cords. We both use Thiels, solid state power amps, and ARC tube preamps. Can you recommend a "cheap" aftermarket power cord for one of my components that will make me think I'm even more abnormal? Sorry for the diversion. Back to speed stability...