Direct drive vs belt vs rim vs idler arm

Is one TT type inherently better than another? I see the rim drive VPI praised in the forum as well as the old idler arm. I've only experienced a direct drive Denon and a belt driven VPI Classic.
rockyboy
Yeah should be a cracker of a match. Murray has definitely stepped up a cog - not so many kangaroos in the top paddock now.
Is that your Porsche ? Very very nice.
Is that your Porsche ? Very very nice.
Thanks........50 years old in June this year.
Gets me in a lot of trouble when I say it looks better than most 50 year old women?
Guess I should leave out the noun...."women"?
Anyone remember a product offered in the 1980s called centre a disk?
Dover you notice a positive difference correcting your off centre records right? However doing this by eye is near impossible.
You can make a geometry jig, two intersecting diameters of a circle where the two diameter lines cross.
What it is are perpendicular "frame" called chords to form legs of a right triangle. A third side of the triangle is the diameter. A diameter is a line that passes throgh the centre of the circle and two diameters must cross at the centre.
Visualize a rectangular box shape with cross hairs,I used two pound fishing line as the diameters or cross hairs, practice on worthless vinyl.
It works very well however I would like to see something better. Halcro this could be a good project for you.
Gentlepeople
I have been pondering our obvious passion about speed stability with respect to different drive systems. If we put aside the potential for all of us to view this topic thru somewhat colored glasses, due to our purchase choices, we can tunnel down to what we can perceive.
So here is my thought experiment.
We can tell the direction of a sound source by the arrival time difference between our ears.
For the following calculations I made these assumptions

Preceptable threshold of angular displacement of sound source from straight ahead...,15 degrees ( I have no idea if this is accurate but it seemed to be a reasonable assumption )
Distance of sound source from listener ..,4 meters ( common speaker distance)
Distance between ears drums ....120 mm( I'm wide open to reposts on that one )
Speed of sound 343 m/ s
This makes an approx distance difference to the L&R ears of 1.8 mm from the sound source.
At 343 m/s this equates to a time difference of 0.0000053 seconds (5.3 u seconds.)
Obviously some big assumptions here and hopefully I have the math roughly correct but....
No wonder we are sensitive to this stuff!
Lespier,
I agree! the long delay after moderators have finally agreed that our contributions will not lead to revolution on Audigon makes it very difficult following the discussion. It takes away some of the fun we had in earlier times. Living in a fast world with the experience that on other Forums comments or responses are possible within minutes I may ask if this is the best/benchmark approach guiding an Audio Forum?