Analog vs Digital Confusion

Thinking about adding Analog to my system, specifically a Turntable, budget is about 5K but I'm having some second thoughts and I'm hoping someone can help, specifically, how can the record sound better? Scenario; an album is released in both CD and Record, the recording is DDD mixed, mastered, etc in the digital domain. It seems to me that to make the master record the process would involve taking the digital recoding and adding an additional D/A process to cut the record? So, bottom line, how can the record sound better than the CD played on compitent CDP?
rpg
Onhwy61 In the never ending pursuit of audio bliss, and from my personal observations vinyl is making a slow but steady comeback for that reason. Thanks for asking, I'm also entertaining the idea of valve amplification as well.
Rpg
I am indeed the type of guy you suggest whart (61). We also share similar TTs and cartridges, I use an AirTight pc-3. The 4point is a wonderful sounding arm btw, I speced my own arm tower which saved me a lot of money.

I agree it is a real buzz to get great sound from a cleaned 2nd hand record which is 40 or 50 years old. I will check out 88 Basie st, I have a few 45 rpm discs, the best of which is Tina Brooks Back to the Tracks. The only downside, as with a lot of the original van gelder recordings, is the disappointing piano sound. Sax, drums bass all excellent but the piano can sound rather distant
I dont know why this should be as I have some great sounding classical piano discs (Richter, Brendel etc) from the late 50s and early 60s

You make some good points about phono stages. I tried all sorts of PSs some years ago when they were a bit thiner on the ground. Often well reviewed ones sounded quite ordinary, I used a BAT vkPH10se for some years with great success. There is no substitute for trying out new components at home with existing gear.
I have tried the Whest 30R DT and it is an excellent phono stage for the money in the UK.

I like the AirTight carts because they have a slightly higher output. The lower the output the harder the PS has to work and so the poorer the signal to noise ratio.
The newest Ortofon has an output of only 0.2mv. I dont know why manufacturers produce such low output carts.
It is worth bearing in mind that some phono stages will work more successfully with higher output carts.
I think a great question to be asked of the responders of this thread would be, how many analog users have modified (tweaked) their turntables? I really enjoy my table, but I admit to being confused by it's performance before the tweaks.
Don
Posted 7:58 AM 1/2/2013