Upgrading cartridge used or new?

I am in process to upgrade my analog setup starting from replacing my DV 10x5 with an step up one from DV or other make.
My TT rega P5.

On my journey I had hear mixed things about buying used, a much better cartridge or just pay same amount for a brand new lower end one.

Some dealers said you never know the history of a used cartridge, so you must believe the always magic # from the seller of 100 hours on it, plus vinyls condition that was expose to, etc.

While the new even if lower end is a solid secure step.

I would like to hear your exp about buying cartridges on used market.

As always must appreciate all your time to share your comments.

Regards.
128x128mountainsong
You will get responces from both sides, those that have had bad luck buying used, and those that have had the opposite experience.

My only purchase of a used cartridge was of a Dynavector XX2MKII. The ad specified the cartridge as having only 10 hours on it. I bought it, and 7 years later, I am still using it. The seller's claim of 10 hours was true, as the cartridge still hadn't broken in yet. It's poerformance improved after break-in, as it should have.

So, my experience was a positve one. I saved $850 over the price of new. If you decide to buy used, make sure to check the member's feedback first (obvious). YMMV

Good luck,
Dan
Unless you can confirm the history of the cart., I would buy new. Their too easy to damage. At one point I had the 10x5 and upgraded to the low output version of the 20 and found it was a big improvement. Just make sure that your phono pre can handle a low output cart.
I bought a used Dynavector 20 cartridge a few years ago off the Gon. The seller claimed it had very low use. When I installed the cartridge, I found that the suspension was completely collapsed and as a result, the bottom of the cartridge would scrape on the record. I sold it as a damaged cartridge needing a suspension for a song and really lost my shirt on that one. Now, I only buy brand new cartridges.