Is Coincident Statement Phono pre-amp an overkill

Is it an overkill for my Clearaudio Concept TT and Concept MM cartridge.

I am a new to Analog but clearly its going to be my #1 source of listening pleasure I know already.

Should I start the safe route of picking up an EAR 834P and then going up the chain.

What are your views on this phono stage in general is it worth the money, I have a chance to get one at 25% off retail, which for this phono as I understand never happens, have not seen this phono in Audiogon ever in the last 6 months of looking everyday.
essrand
A Phono Stage is the most critical unit in the whole chain. With no other unit you can win or loose so much. When it is done right, it is not a question of overkill (Science is knowledge ---> RIAA, precision, temperature, parts... ).
We have now a lot more units available, but only very, very few are outstanding. Like a famous European Designer (Mies van der Rohe) once said: "God is in the Detail"
Jcharvet, do you use the Coincident Phono like a line-stage for your digital source also ?
Seems it has input for CD player too, so can bypass having a line stage completely.
If you do, can you please tell how good it is with acting as a Line stage for a digital source.
Dear Essrand: It's clear that for any one of us is easy and in some ways a " fun " to " play " with other person money.

++++ " I might wait and gain some more experience with Vinyl before getting the Coincident. " ++++

this makes a lot of sense to me.

Analog is far away to be a plug&play hobby. If there is one audio suibject where we need adeep knowledge level and skills to achieve a quality performance level that can satisfy us is ANALOG.

The analog proccess is a everyday learning proccess. You are " new " to that learning proccess and you can't run before you learn to walk. We have to invest time and money on that learning proccess. I think you can't justify a high investment on the starting learning proccess step, you have to understand what really is happening " down there " ( quality performance level during playbak. ), why sounds that way or that other way, why I can't get " nirvana ? and several other questions that only you can resolve through that knowledge level and obviously trough your audio system.

First step in that learning proccess could be to have a reference a standard to compare. Normally the " best " reference is live music and here too you have to understand what you are listening.

Yes, the phonolinepreamp is a critical analog item but the cartridge and tonearm too and you have to learn by your self about if you really cares about MUSIC and MUSIC home reproduction.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
I'd say that it's obvious you'll want a good quality TT, tonearm and
cartridge, all are important. You have to start somewhere and beginning
with a recognized and praised phono stage that's available for a discounted
price is a fine opportunity(and has an excellent line section built in).
Starting with a lesser quality phono only to upgrade later usually costs
more in the long run. All components have a learning curve, this isn't
unique to analog. You have an excellentCoincident Dragon amp and thus a
very solid foundation. No need to make things more complicated than need
be.
Listen to live music (particularly acoustic instruments) and you'll develop
an ear for natural sound. You'll discover (or may already have) that some
types of components are more realistic and natural than others. Trust your
hearing and your spontaneous and emotional response.
Charles,