Zyx Universe. O.24 mv vs .48 mv with low eff spkrs

I have a dilema

My Zyx Universe .24mv cartridge appears to be loosing its suspension characteristics. I believe an arm bearing not moving freely put too much wear on it.

I have 84 db speakers and have to crank at pretty high levels to get my volume up far enough to resolve things.

I know a .24 mv is going to have slightly more resolution and speed but woud I be better going with the .48 and having less stress on the amplification and higher output volumes?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xaudiotomb
Thanks for the update, Tom. I recall, as you're probably aware, that Thom uses the Ulysses as his reference speakers.

Enjoy! Regards,
-- Al
Al

love your room - that wood looks gorgeous with the Ulysses

I first heard the Daedalus in 2011 at RMAF

I went into that room to finally meet Thom. What a pleasure. We were chatting quietly in the back corner and I was amazed at how wonderfully the Ulysses filled the room and had a great tonal balance. As an upright player I was taken, as Esperanza Spaulding sounded like she was in the room
Doug wrote

If you feel like taking the time, it would be instructive to hear how the UNI2 behaves with your Salk speakers. My guess (only that) is that it would slightly improve the perceived lack of dynamic headroom.

Doug will do
maybe I mislead everyone somewhat, I have headroom with the Van Alstine, just wanted to see if it was worth getting more as I was on the upper range of my Doshi volume knob. Hence the .24 vs .48 mv question

The Atmasphere will not work with low efficiency speakers

I will add in one piece at a time, most likely the ZYX will arrive first

perfect indoor fun for the hot summer that hasn't quite hit New Orleans yet

I cleaned 30 lps with my Kl Audio ultra sonic yesterday evening in preparation for the anointing

yes Mehran is the best!
Audiotomb, there should be no issue if the volume knob is near the end or all the way up. Usually, all that a volume control does is attenuate the strength of the incoming signal, which the preamp circuit then amplifies by a fixed amount of gain. The only concern with the preamp circuitry should be the level of the signal input, the fixed (maximum) gain of the preamp, and the preamp's maximum output level.

If the signal going into the input jacks is 6V and you use the volume to reduce the input level to 1/10 (0.6V), or if the signal going into the input jacks is 1.2V and you use the volume to reduce the input level to 1/2 (0.6V), both are the same thing to the preamp circuitry. Whatever the input signal level ends up at, the preamp circuit will amplify that by its fixed (maximum) gain, which does not change with volume position.

I know that many audiophiles show a psychological adversion to having the volume turned all the way up, but as long as the preamp output isn't clipping or distorting, the physical position of the volume is a needless worry.

kind regards, jonathan

PS. There may be one or two unique preamps (such as Ayre's KX-R) where the volume does alter the internal gain, but such designs are quite rare.
My guess is that once you hear the Atma amps w a suitable speaker, your only argument will be w yourself, for not doing it sooner. IMO, the Salk speakers are beautiful, real craftmanship, but clearly designed for high power SS amps. A high(er)/flat impedance, high(er) efficiency speaker designed for tube amps is the way to go w the Atma amps. My own experience is that you do have to be somewhat concerned about hum and noise when you go to very high eff speakers; the higher eff the more careful you have to be; there's a reason why many low power amps (likely to be mated w high eff speakers) have hum pots!

Swampwalker, I am guessing you've not heard our amps in a while! At the Munich show we did not use the jumper plugs as described on our website, yet to hear any artifact from the electronics at all, you had to have your head inside the horn of the loudspeaker, which was 107 db. Even then it was a gentle hiss.