Would vinyl even be invented today?

Records, cartridges and tonearms seem like such an unlikely method to play music--a bit of Rube Goldberg. Would anyone even dream of this today? It's like the typewriter keyboard--the version we have may not be the best, but it stays due to the path dependence effect. If vinyl evolved from some crude wax cylinder to a piece of rock careening off walls of vinyl, hasn't it reached the limits of the approach? Not trying to be critical--just trying to get my head around it.
128x128jafreeman
Do you think the internal combustion engine is a model of simplicity and logic...❓👀
Yet here we are 120 years later with basically the same concept powering our vehicles.....because we can't do it better any other way...😎👅
Vinyl playback IMO.....is a similar example of sophisticated perfection which may not be equaled....let alone exceeded...in my lifetime...😍
For long term archiving of material vinyl is a superior medium. Assuming it's stored in a climate controlled environment a vinyl record can last for centuries. You cannot say the same for digital storage devices.
I think it a bit delusional to believe there is ANYTHING perfect about vinyl record playback, but it does not really matter as long as one likes the way things sound.

BTW, which part of the record is more perfect, the beginning or the end? They are not the ame so cannot be equally perfect. IT's a fair question then. :^)
"Works for HDTV"

How many guys who think digital is inherently inferior are willing to give up their HD TVs and go back to the old analog tube crap that preceeded it?

I hooked an antenna up to my old portable analog TV with one of those inexpensive video d/a converters. The picture on my old analog portable TV never looked so good.

Can't work for audio though of course.... :^)