Cable "burning": Real or VooDoo ???

While i have my opinions on this subject, i'd love to hear from others that have tried various methods of "burning in" cables, what was used to do it, what differences were noticed ( if any ), etc... Please be as specific as possible. If your a "naysayer" in this area, please feel free to join in BUT have an open mind and keep this thread on topic. Sean
>
sean
Why would cable companies insist that their cable needs to be burned in if it doesn't change the sound? They aren't making money by the # of hours you play the cable. Seems like it would be easy enough for a company to say "our cable is good from the start" all others are inferior and have to be burned in. But that isn't the case, at least as far as I tell.
No money, basically you make a good point here, but don't many audiophiles react in the sense of : Since all "good", meaning very expensive, cables neeed to be burnt in and this is always expressively mentioned in the glossy literature, then something must be "wrong" with a cable, which is said to work right out of the box. So if you like, but I am not implying that this is so in most cases, you could just as well infer, that all that burning in stuff is merely a necessary marketing hype (next to clever pricing)for the manufacturer to sell his wire as something special and top notch.
They could just claim that they burn it in for us, or make up some theory saying their design is so advanced and outstanding that it is just fine out of the box. But you don't see it happen? Seems like that would be a good marketing ploy to set yourself apart from the other guys. "Our cable is so advanced you don't need to burn it in" ! They could even double the price of the cables that don't need it.
Richard I think your going in a good direction. I too believe we should ask "possible" questions, and rather than simply dismissing them as so often is the case, we need to explore the theory. 70242.241 has asked the question, I believe meant to state the fact that metal has no memory, when bent or pounded or what ever the structure is indeed altered. We know that heating the metal will re-disperse the elements evenly though the material. I think the question of wave flow, and a new question of electro magnetic fields produced when current is passed should be looked at. Maybe there is something there as current rides through the metal moving via electrons it might indeed alter something.