Cable auditions - Hard Work?

Does anyone find it to be "hard work" to audition cables? I find that I have to be 'fresh' before I can begin to listen to cables. After I begin, I can only listen, with the intensity needed, for a period of about an hour.

As I do A/B comparisons, it sometimes seems, my impressions change as I listen. Sometimes the differences are so small or subtle, that I question if I'm hearing a difference at all. Have I lost it?

How do you folks do your cable auditions? I'd really like to know.

Thanks
paul
oldpet
I'm probably worse than you. I need to not have made any changes to the system in a couple of months. Mostly I can hear some changes within minutes of trying;--- The changes that take back and forth multiple times, push my sanity.--which are already pushed---.
About ten / twelve years ago my dealer wanted me to try this Res. Audio dac. I had a Theta Pro Basic2 at the time.At that time I was unaware of break-in.Mine sounded as good as his. Then he had me try this Encore dac. (The Pyramid looking one)---SAME thing;back and forth 20xs.I ended up buying a Theta gen5--- That, I knew right away.---I know dac's ain't cables but burn in and such are similar.The way I figure it; if it moves me right away;it's a keeper. Bringing a third item into the mix ?-- that's beyond me. 'Guess I have a short memory attention span?
Mine too are hard work, and I too question whether I'm hearing a difference. Don't know if you've lost it or never had it. :-) I know I've never been a GEA; I have to work to hear differences in cable, electronics, etc.

After conditioning it for days with my VCR driving an input on my preamp, I insert the new cable in the tape-monitor loop of my preamp. (This TM loop contains no electronics.) I determine if the insertion of the cable is audible. If it is, I reject it immediately. If it's not, it has passed the first test and I then replace my system cable with the new stuff, and also reinsert the 'old' cable to verify differences. It's still hard work.
Ideally, I like to listen to new cables for about a month before I form an opinion. I also like to have the cable burned in by someone like The Cable Burner Co..
I've done many cable comparisons over the years, while I may start off with short listening sessions and A/B comparisons I've found that making the best decision only comes from long listening sessions over several hours and days. I know the cable is a contender if I stop analyzing and instead just get lost in the music.
Another reason that it is important to do long listening sessions over several days is that cables often sound much better after having at least a 24 hour period in which to just sit and settle in.