Cable auditions - Hard Work?

Does anyone find it to be "hard work" to audition cables? I find that I have to be 'fresh' before I can begin to listen to cables. After I begin, I can only listen, with the intensity needed, for a period of about an hour.

As I do A/B comparisons, it sometimes seems, my impressions change as I listen. Sometimes the differences are so small or subtle, that I question if I'm hearing a difference at all. Have I lost it?

How do you folks do your cable auditions? I'd really like to know.

Thanks
paul
oldpet
Hi Tvad

Glad to see you back. :-)
1. It seems resolving to me too.
2. I have never investigated power conditioning. Not really familiar with it or its benefits.
3. Just thinking I might be missing something. I think i'm coming down with "the disease" Adiophilia Nervosa! :( I'm trying my best to keep perspective though. Plus I don't hear obvious differences in the cables I've switched in and out. That's about it.

Thanks for getting back.
BTW - how did you delete a post?
paul
Paul, power conditioning is a difficult animal to explain, and one which must be experienced, IMO. But for me, it made a tangible difference in the resolution of my equipment. Why? Because whether we identify it or not, we all have grunge and hash in our systems, which is difficult to "hear" until it's gone. When it's gone, the system has the "blackness" folks speak of, and a quietness that makes the music more real. The hash that power conditioning cleans up results in better resolution of micro details because there's less noise to compete with the aural cues of things like wire brushes on a coated drum head. With the noise gone, one can hear this distinctly, instead of it sounding a little mushy. With the system hash gone, the benefits of cabling changes become easier to hear, IMO.

So, I suppose I'd suggest power conditioning before you start swapping wire.

I use a simple system of two dedicated lines, two Hydra 2 power conditioners, and two good 20a power cords to feed the Hydras.

If your post is the past in the thread, you often have an option to delete your post by clicking on the "edit you post" feature.
If your post is the past in the thread
That "edit your post" feature seems to suddenly be gone...poof!

That sentence should read. "If you post is the LAST in the thread".
Thanks Grant. I'll be doing some research.

S23chang - I have not had the oppurtunity to hear the Rowland amps.
As for tube Amps - Several things:
1. I like slam. I'm not sure you can achieve really good slam with tubes.
2. I'm NOT going to be bothered with tube bias-ing. Plus - the cost of tubes is really getting silly.
3. I think a tube amp system would be really nice for 'relaxing' around the house, with their 'euphonic' type for sound that they're famous for. But, for more serious listening, I prefer a more natural, or un-emphasised, sonic picture in front of me.
I think a tube amp system would be really nice for 'relaxing' around the house, with their 'euphonic' type for sound that they're famous for. But, for more serious listening, I prefer a more natural, or un-emphasised, sonic picture in front of me.
This is a stereotypical point of view of tube amps. Come hear my VAC Phi 110/110 and that stereotype will be forever dispelled.

I can understand your sonic preference. It's mine, too. You are doing yourself a disservice, however, by dismissing all tube amps out of hand.