Cable isolators ???

Can anybody (preferable someone not trying to sell them) give me any feedback on how effective cable isolators are?

Are they most effective on speaker cables, interconnects, etc.??

Do they work better on floors, carpeting?

Is this just a ridiculous idea??
dewinkle
Yes, they work to isolate speaker cables from electrostatic charges from carpets. Never used them on interconnects. Do yourself a favor and purchase vintage porcelain insulators - the kind used on electrical power poles - from Ebay (or your local Antique Collectible store) for about $5 apiece instead of the overpriced audiophile version which is esentially the same thing. As to interconnects, I've found cheap foam water pipe insulators from Home Depot - about $3. for a 4'piece - to be effective at separating the interconnects from other cables.
I've had luck using 3 wooden dowels in a "teepee" configuration to get one set of cables away from the others (signal vs power).
I was doubtful about vibration having an effect on electronics, much less wires. Rather than argue about it, I put a high gain circuit (phono preamp) into a box along with a small speaker system and a SPL meter. Ran the SPL up to about 110dB, and looked for any change of the preamp output. Nothing.

I think that vibration isolation is for turntables, where the pickup is expressly designed to respond to tiny vibrations. Elsewhere in the system, do it if it makes you feel good.
Very interesting advice. Thanks. I guess I was under the assumption that because cable isolators were ceramic, that the problem was due to static electricity (hum) more than vibration. Great ideas. Thanks.