a/b interconnect cable comparison single ended

here is an approach to help to determine which of two cables is least colored.

asuume there exists two cables : a and b. you will need two female to female connectors.

select recordings. listen to stereo system with cable a. take good notes. listen to stereo system with cable b. allow appropriate interval between listening sessions to avoid loss of acuity. again, take notes.

listen to cable a + coupler + cable b. take good notes.
listen to cable b + coupler + cable a. take good notes

you have 4 conditions to compare. use the results to help determine which of the two cables alters the sound more than the other.

yes, the coupler may add some "coloration" and yes the reults are anecdotal and highly subjective. but, hopefully, a good first step. perhaps there are other suggestions and improvements to this process.
mrtennis
John's idea of using the tape look to simply route signal through the cable is a good one, but there is one catch. That is, if you've not used the tape loops to any great extent, just switching them into the circuit will change the sonics regardless of the cables under test. This obviously has to do with "break in" and many will think that it is kinda crazy, but it is true. If in doubt, plug your CD player into a different input that you don't normally use ( NOT a phono input ) and see if you can hear a difference. We've done this using even mass produced receivers and the differences between various inputs was quite evident, even to the "non-audiophiles" that first noticed the differences in their system. Sean
>
question,
Why would it be better to use the tape loop circuit instead of using two line inputs as I suggested earlier in my post. Switching from one line input to the other, for an A/B comparison?
Thanks, jim
Jea48: Using the tape loop allows one to use their existing set-up and simply switch the interconnects in and out of the system instantaneously. No need to remove, replace, reconnect, etc... All of this at a flip of a switch WITHOUT altering the load impedances by running cabling in parallel to two different input jacks. Sean
>
Using rapid A/B comparisons I get some info, but not a complete data set.

With the theory that difference is not always better (or worse) I find I obtain more useful info by putting a given cable into the system and living with it for a while (days). Then take it out and put in the comparator and listen over a couple of days. I keep doing this until the one I want to live with emerges. If you feel a need to do this blind get a buddy or a kindly spouse to help. (Just don't peek!)

Sometimes a difference is initially disconcerting; sometimes the unfamilar is initally attractive. Long term satisfaction is what you really want.

On the other hand, to the extent you have a 'gold standard' as a comparitor, rapid testing can help find DUTs that are simliar in sound. Otherwise your comparisons lack a control. John's method (using cable 'c') does account for this. I also agree with Sean... any change you introduce, other than the variable you want to test, may confound your results.

So I keep it simple. Out with one, in with the other. Reverse, repeat. Works well for me.