cable dielectric cause of artificial sound

Hi folks, I would like to know what your opinion is about the following issue. About 90% of high-end cable manufacturers use PTFE as dielectric. Many of their cables sound much alike and they have a few of these characteristics in common: clean, relaxed and laid back sound but at the same time very dynamic (though a bit artificially), very quiet ("black background"), very good (also artificially) left/right separation. But I think albeit these traits, they tend to sound "technicolored", "sterile" and unengaging (lacking PRaT also). Some cable manufacturers are using bleached cotton as dielectric. These cables sound different: they have more natural dynamics, a mellower sound, more intimate soundstage, more tonal colors and so on. Are these differences mainly due to the dielectric material used? Why is for so many manufacturers PTFE still the ultimate dielectric for the use in audio cables?

Chris
dazzdax
Hi Sean, is this phenomenon you've described the reason for some manufacturers to "energize" their cables with 24V (or higher)? Audio is full of unexplained phenomena.

Chris
Yes, the dialectric is probably one of the most important things as for a sound goes.
Even most of the folks using Teflon agree Cotton is a wonderful insulation material. The problem is finding it!
I personally would use only Teflon or cotton insulation if I could. Foamed PTFE is pretty good for center to shield coax, but who makes a cotton one?
As for twisted wires, hard teflon is good, some receipes call for foamed teflon coated wires twisted tightly together.
Hard to get a pure cotton shield that is uniform enough to twist cleanly.
So if some cable makers can get a perfect cotton wrap for twisted pair wires whoo hoo (If they are cheap enough!)
Although this is a controversial and a bit off topic I would add another statement: twisting wires within an audio cable (interconnect or speaker cable), although fine for rejecting RFI en EMI, can make the sound lifeless and unengaging.

Chris
Dazzdax: I would not doubt that Audioquest's "DBS" system is based on something similar to what i'm experiencing. Without talking to Bill Low, i'm strictly guessing at that though...

Tplavas: I was working with standard "foam" dielectric as found in typical RF based coaxial cables. While the exact dielectric make-up will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, they are probably pretty close. How much this applies to audio based cabling, with many actually using RF based coaxial designs as their core, is beyond me. Given that my testing was conducted within the AF band, i would have to assume that the basic results would apply to audio cabling to at least some extent. Whether or not i want to fully dig into this area is a decision i'll have to think about. Sean
>