audiophiles get mention in today's WSJournal

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120044692027492991.html?mod=weekend_leisure_banner_left

funny, but in AB tests most audiophiles aren't able to pick the better product in a statistically significant manner, but Mikey Fremer & JAtkinson could.

rhyno
128x128rhyno
I thought it was an entertaining, light-hearted read. To a great extent, I agree with the premise of the article that this hobby is a bit crazy & self indulgent. I don't care what others think of my hobby or if they think I'm wasting my money. I like the feeling that being an audiophile brings.... one of uniqueness and being part of a small following that few understand.
I was at THE Show last week, and the word on the street (from even a pseudoaudiophile friend) was that the test was really a sham.

I did not take part in the test, so I have no personal opinion as to whether the test was valid or not. Hopefully, some of the people I met there were involved, and can comment
Hodu,

Sorry to offend and maybe I should have stated dying as news print is continuing to loose readers on a yearly basis. I just don't enjoy my hobbies being the pointless/needless sarcasm of someone who doesn't understand why we love what we do.
Gee, I wasn't the least bit offended. The results were about what I would expect, if not even a bit better. Considering, as has already been commented on, the brevity, and unfamiliarity with room (which as we all know is extremely important), all in all, I think the writter was fair and did a good job.
Nowhere was it mentioned if the gear used was broken in. How long were the pieces used? Was anything actually run-in enough to the point where it was working to it's fullest capacity? Most take quite a bit of time to fully break in. Not very scientific, to say the least.