rca plugs - comparisons?

anyone test or compare rca plugs on identical cables, noticed diffences or improvements? top wbt and eichman rca's have "new and improved" designs, are they better, or just different? is it worth the expense to change/upgrade the plugs on a decent older cable or specify the expensive wbt's, where it is optional?
128x128lloydc
MrT,
your idea per se may be sound. We've trodded similar paths around here. Only you forgot to mention that the technician must be a master solderer. If he is not, and there is a difference in soldering from plug to plug, you'll be listening to solder joints and not to what you are thinking you're evaluating. We found that out the hard way.
Also we did not take cheap wire as you suggested, because we found those unsufficiently revealing. We ended up with better XLOs, Nordost and NBS wires and then did hear differences in our panel. We ended up with NeXtGen and- surprisingly- with a cheapo but very well made Chinese copy of the Nakamichi plugs.
Quite right Rodmann, that's what we did and see that you have good and firm metal to metal contact before using your solder.
one of the furutech rca connectors does not require solder, which introduces another set of comparisons. imagine if one could avoid solder altogether.

it would seem obvious, e.g., that the eichmann silver and copper bullet plugs would have different sonic effects when used with copper or silver wire. the mixing of metals should produce differnt sonic results.

i have heard different results comparing plugs on power cords and one would expect spade lugs and banana plugs to have an effect upon the sound of speaker cable.

any small change in a component may exert an audible difference in the performance of a stereo system.

i have a feeling you are more experienced in these matters than i am.
Bocchino Audio - very expensive but screw connections allow a wide variety of wire to be tested and from my limited tests ( xhadow, next gen ) I thought they performed very well

Cheers