Is a Power Wedge 116 any good?

I have an old Power Wedge 116 conditioner (1996), and it's the the MK2 with the removeable power cable. I was thinking about upgrading the stock cable with a good modern one.

Will such a combo give me decent results?
kennythekey
I have the 116, love it, sent it back to the factory to have it upgraded with all current stuff including their trick electrical cable and plug. Cost 450.00 to mod it. It is a fine piece.
After 30 years, I have found that power cable have given me the least sonic improvements in terms of relative value than almost any other upgrades and results are highly variable. I think there's probably something else that will give you more bang for the buck. Look at my system - I've changed everything.

I've never owned an API 116. I did own an API power wedge product and sold it so fast I don't even remember what it was. Maybe my power lines are cleaner than yours?

See what other feedback you get here. Is this really the only upgrade idea on your list?

Good luck.

Thanks Shinytoys, I'll check out the mod.

Barrysandy - Regarding upgrades...no that's not all, I'm replacing my analog front end. I want to protect my investment and have clean power without sacrifice...actually clean power and improved sound go hand-in-hand if you get it right. There's a lot of power solutions that get it wrong. Trying to avoid that.

I've been asleep while the what's-new-in-audio has been passing me by, because I don't stay in touch until I'm ready to upgrade again. For me, that's every ten to twenty years.

After spending my budget on my new front end, I'm just wondering if my Power Wedge 116 is okay and will improve with a decent power cord...at least not detract from the sound.
The PW 116 was a good power filter in its day, but has been surpassed by many of the newer products. I had a PW 116 MkII, then upgraded to the Ultra series and now I run a PS Audio power regenerator on my front end only. My mono tubes amps get fed directly from dedciated lines.

I found that most isolation transformer based power filter to be current limiting and rolls off the high frquency extension, thus eliminating much of the music's air.