Has Anyone Criticized The Choice Of Your Cables?

Has anyone, either a dealer or an experienced friend come over to your place and provide some constructive(or negative) critism to the choice of cables in your system? If yes, how would you deal with it? Recently I have a guy who came over and he was pretty vocal on the cables in my system. Although the choice of words were quite unpleasant, I just brushed him off in a friendly manner since I am an open-minded person. I was just wondering how one would react in these kind of situations.
ryder
You really have to be the judge.
Having played around with IC's just last night for about 4 hours and a couple different power cords.
I had some IC's a friend sent me,put them in,kind of mucked things up with no soundstage.
Put another pair in that I purchased at my local electronics store,nice warm cable,fat bottom end but soundstage wonderfully.
Had some Hudson Audio 6,9's pure silver cables that I picked up from Tom during a show and although very clean did not care for what they did on top in my system.
Tried my DIY cables that definetly had the instrument timbre correct but lost a little focus in the soundstage.
Tried my DIY power cable on the phono stage in place of a Cardas Golden Cross cord and like what I heard there as the Cardas cord seemed to prohibit the music from coming thru with the clarity that I like.
Ended up putting the DIY powercord on my new Transition Audio Design Tom Tutay tube preamp and loved the resolution there.
I guess my point would be, try all that you have on different components,mix and match if need be to what you like to hear out of your system and forget what anybody else thinks. Do the work and time that it takes to optimize what you want out of your system and go with it.
Everybody is a critic if asked but knowing for yourself that this is what I like takes away the bite of anothers critic.
Nice system by the way!
I quote Ricky Nelson: "Ya can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself".
Garden Party 1972
RJA has it right. Anyone who criticizes your system in an opne and rude manner is either jealous or insecure in some way. I have an aquaintance that once made some pretty ruse comments aboutmy system and I was caught off guard and didn't respond. Truth is WE pay for our systems and WE listen to them with OUR ears. If I want someones opinion I ask for it. But when some asks me I usually tell them what they want to hear. These systems cost way too much to be worried about some who listens maybe 2-3 hours a year.
Yes my system could use some tweaking but so can the best of systems. Everyone hears something different. My advise is buy what you can afford and let yourself get used to it.
If you aren't happy then YOU make the decision based on your ears and budget.
We have an obscure hobby, generally speaking. Then we have these know-it-all's whom know next to nothing about our hobby. They have this need to show their intellect by critiquing.
In my experiences the most critiquing came from owners of a K-mart system or maybe only a boom box.---This is actually true in my case.
It's only a ploy some humans use in hope for dominance,because they themselves are clueless about life/ friendship and such.---Yep, the speaker wire critic falls into this control seeking group.
Oops, almost forgot;--any dealer whom carries a different line of wires falls within--- but at least we know his agenda.