Teo XLR

I notice liquid cables are being talked about a bit at the moment so thought I'd share my experience.

I come from a somewhat cable sceptic background. After playing with modest cables I felt there were differences but it was all pretty subtle. The best I came across were Anti-cables which with everything I've seen seemed to offer slightly greater clarity. They've stayed in my system for the past 3 years as it's evolved.

I run an Emm Labs, Muse amp (very underrated)and Kharma speakers with just an XLR between the electronics. I was offered the opportunity to try a Teo XLR in an unfamiliar system a little while ago and was surprised at the difference it made so at the earliest opportunity I tried them in mine.

I've had them for over a week now and have been surprised at just how big a difference they've made. In a system that I've been very happy with the greater decay and body to notes is a revelation. They've added a more natural perspective that I didn't know I was missing. Very impressive.
defride

Have to agree with tbg that it would be very nice to go back to discussing cables but I hope everyone understands that I really have to respond to some recent posts. And I ask the forum's forgiveness in the matter, but I feel I have little choice, and have to deal with a toxic cloud that seems to be hanging over my head.

That being said, I was somewhat surprised and quite disturbed by the response that Sabai posted. I had, mistakenly it seems, thought that I had produced a fairly good argument to buttress our contention that TEO Audio products are safe. But looking at the Sabai posts, which looked, at first blush, to be very well thought out and comprehensive, I realized that we were still not out of the woods.

And rather than engage Sabai in a point by point rebuttal I will, for sake of brevity, try to keep this short, and concentrate on only two points. (the other points I believe have been adequately covered in my earlier post).

The first thing I find odd about Sabai's response is that he continues to pivot his argument on a very strange source, a company that sells water treatment solutions. In doing so, he categorically rejects the medical community, whose research, articles, testing and certification processes confirm the safety of both Galinstan and Geratherm's use of it.

The fact that Lenntech appears to rely on this self-same database to define the focus and scope of their work -seems lost on him (to my knowledge Lenntech has done no independent research in the matter). But, what they have done is creatively craft a storyline that bears every appearance of simply playing into their business plan.

If I were a cynical man I would opine that Sabai has chosen that line and stuck with it, and against all evidence to the contrary, I may add, because more than anything, it says what he wants to hear.

The second point I would like to address is the line drawn from the NCBI study. In and of itself, this line stands as quite a damning statement that puts my claims in a rather bad light (and would likely give pause to anyone who dared deal in any way with indium in its myriad forms). As one can imagine, I found this especially disturbing. But instead of turning tail and running away I decided to run straight into the oncoming fire and seek out that study.

In fairly short order, I found the article (actually it was only the abstract to the article but it did contain the line that Sabai had used to support his contentions, so I was confident I found the self-same study). In my reading of the abstract I found something that was not only very disturbing, but also quite disappointing, though at the same time -most interesting. That very disturbing and quite disappointing part is quite easy to see for anyone who wishes to look at the abstract of the study (the link is here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18931462 ). It is the part of the abstract that outlines the studies' outcome, which incidently, stands in stark contrast to what Sabai is trying to insinuate with the line he pulled from this abstract. It plainly states that there were no adverse responses to the application of rather large doses of indium to the test subjects.( I invite to look at the abstract for full details )

As an aside, I would have liked to have provided access to the full article.....which was kindly provided to me by my partner who has access to PubMed...this is one of the many perks of living with someone who does medical research for a living....but there are difficulties providing that link to the general public. But after reading the full article several times, I can say with certainty that the article accurately reflects the findings of the study.

But just so no one misses the point I will elaborate again. What you find in the abstract is the line that Sabai presented as damning proof of potential problems caused by indium toxicity. Now I have no problems with the presentation of that statement. But it is what immediately follows that statement was the stuff that I found so problematic.

The text of the abstract in its entirety is below....including the part that Sabai managed to mysteriously miss, or maybe, just maybe, intentionally ignored . To put this into perspective, if this kind of thing were to occur in an academic or research setting, termination would soon follow.

Abstract

Indium is widely used in the electronics industry to make semiconductors, liquid-crystal panels, and plasma display panels, and its production is increasing. However, it is necessary to handle it more cautiously than before, because the pulmonary toxicity of inhaled indium has been identified. The present study aimed to characterize the potential toxic effects of indium through oral administration and observation for fourteen days following a single dose of 0 or 2,000 mg/kg (acute oral toxicity study), and repeated oral administration for 28 days at dose levels of 0, 40, 200, or 1,000 mg/kg daily (28-day repeated oral dose toxicity study) to male and female Crj:CD (SD) IGS rats (SPF). No deaths and no abnormalities in clinical signs, body weights, and necropsy findings were observed for any of the animals in the acute oral toxicity study. Furthermore, no changes related to indium were also observed in the dose groups up to 1,000 mg/kg of the 28-day repeated oral dose toxicity study. From the results described above, the lethal dose 50% (LD(50)) of indium is greater than 2,000 mg/kg under these study conditions, and the no-observed-adverse-effect-level (NOAEL) is considered to be 1,000 mg/kg for males and females under these conditions.

Now, if I may translate the studies' findings into terms more appropriate to the discussion we are having in this thread, to wit, to reach the NOAEL ( the no-obseved-adverse-effect-level) one would have to ingest in their entirety, the contents of approximately 1232 TEO Audio Liquid Cables over the course of 28 days. And to reach the LD(50) (lethal dose 50% ) levels someone would have to ingest the entire contents of approximately 2464 TEO Audio Liquid Cables in the course of 28 days. ( This is assumimg that the indium in the eutectic alloy we use can be wholly separated out, which is most definitely impossible to do )

To put this into perspective: to achieve the same base level of relative toxicity one would have to ingest 1250mg/day of either Vit A or Vit D ( and according to the study we are discussing the amount of indium that has to be ingested to achieve the same level of toxicity in an average male is approximately 160,000 mg/day).

So where does leave us? Well it seems the study that Sabai introduced into this discussion has unequivocally shown that indium is indeed a safe material to use in the way we use it and the way a client would generally use it. And that, I consider good news. Thank you Sabai.

The bad news is that Sabai has shown himself to be either well intentioned, but incompetent or someone with a rather toxic agenda. In this regard his recent postings have proved to be way less than flattering to both himself and the members of this forum, who at the very least deserve some semblance of honesty in postings.

Before I leave I will give you a small footnote. This indium study was a response to the death of a worker in a plant that produced the transparent conductive films used in flat panel displays ( such as TV's and computer monitors ) In his job this worker inhaled, continuously, for three years, a compound that contained indium, though it should be noted, in a form radically different from either the Galinstan that Sabai rails against, or the alloy we use in our cable.

So, I guess the irony is that Sabai has more to fear from the computer that he typed his rants on than he ever would have from our products.

Again, thank you for your time. I sincerely hope this is the last that I will have to post on this topic

Sab,

Have you ever had/heard the Teo cables?? You seem to be more concerned about toxic Teo than Teo Audio an incredible sounding cable made know by owners who have written in with positive feedback.
Glory,
I have never heard Teo cables. I understand they are quite remarkable. But the question I have brought to the table does not relate to the quality of the sound. It relates to potential toxicity. There are many excellent cables available to audiophiles that do not present a potential toxicity problem because of one of their constituents.
Taras22,
The gentlemen "doth protest too much, methinks" -- from Hamlet by William Shakespeare.

1. The fact that you have gone to the trouble to write this very lengthy post shows that my statements have hit a real nerve. If they had not hit a sensitive nerve they would certainly not have merited the lengthy rebuttal that you have posted today. IMO.

2. You state you will not "engage ... in a point-by-point rebuttal ... for the sake of brevity ...". Whereupon you follow with one of the longest posts I have ever read on any Audiogon forum.

3. The fact that you have not gone to the trouble to compose a point-by-point rebuttal of the points that I have made tells me there are points I have made that you cannot rebut. Otherwise you would have done so. You have chosen to side step the points I have made.

4. The worker you refer to in the indium study died from inhaling indium. You have just made my point. Indium vapor, like mercury vapor, is highly toxic. Indium composes over 20% of Galinstan. I note you have not replied to a single point that I made in my earlier post regarding mercury and the marketing of toxic products. The fact that many toxic products are found in unregulated markets does not make them non-toxic.

5. You state: "I had, mistakenly it seems, thought that I had produced a fairly good argument to buttress our contention that TEO Audio products are safe."

You are correct that you mistakenly thought you produced a good argument. You did not produce a "good argument", IMO. I find your language very revealing. You avoid answering my points directly -- in favor of trying to produce "a fairly good argument" to "buttress [your] contention". Your contention remains just that -- merely a contention. IMO.

I am only interested in examining the facts. I am not engaging in polemics here. You contend your products are safe. In fact, they may not be safe over the long haul since they contain toxic elements that could possibly leak into the environment. And you have not proved otherwise. This is the crux of the matter and the focus of my observations.

6. You state: "But looking at the Sabai posts ... I realized that we were still not out of the woods." You are still not out of the woods, IMO. In your frantic search to get out of this quagmire you have sunk deeper into it. Regarding the content of my posts, your statements do not respond to my observations in a convincing manner. IMO.

7. I find the tone of some of your comments that try to personalize things most revealing.

You state "So, I guess the irony is that Sabai has more to fear from the computer that he typed his rants on than he ever would have from our products."

With all due respect, if you look at the tone of my posts there are very sober and focus strictly on the facts -- point by point. In no way can they be described as "rants". IMO.

8. You state: "The bad news is that Sabai has shown himself to be either well intentioned, but incompetent or someone with a rather toxic agenda. In this regard his recent postings have proved to be way less than flattering to both himself and the members of this forum, who at the very least deserve some semblance of honesty in postings."

Your reference to my competency and honesty are unfortunate. I do not know how any discerning reader can call into question the honest of my posts -- or my competency. The fact is you have no idea of my identity other than my ID here as Sabai. I believe that respect on both sides of the fence on Audiogon is the best way for everyone to proceed. Other than dealers, you do not know who you are talking to on these forums and you should therefore always default to the "respect mode" as a matter of course.

9. Your reference to flattery is an obvious attempt to draw attention away from the issues at hand with a non-issue. IMO your comments about honesty, competency and flattery do not reflect favorably on your professionalism. I believe your commercial agenda is driving your responses here. I believe this is the most obvious agenda on this thread.