The Problem with Synergistic Research

The problem is one that a number of cable makers suffer from. I preface my remarks by noting this not a problem that is exclusive to Synergistic Research. I use SR as an example because I am more familiar with their cables than with the cables of other companies that have the same problem.

The problem is the cost of incremental improvements. SR makes some great products. But, in spite of their copy writing, not all SR products are great, IMO. Some SR products have made great improvements in my system -- like the Tesla SE Hologram D power cord. That having been said, in retrospect, despite the bally-hoo that surrounds SR product launches, most of their products have brought no more than incremental improvements to my system. Products from other cable companies have brought equal or greater improvements for me -- often at much lower cost.

The problem is that SR has such fast-paced marketing with products coming out at a gallop supplanting recently released products -- such as the SR line of PowerCell conditioners -- that I sometimes feel I have been left in the dust.

We cannot stop the relentless march of technology. But at the high price of most of SR's offerings one is often left with sense of being left out instead of left in when new products come on the heels of products one has just purchased. The SR trade-up program does not remedy this problem at all, IMO.

There are many other cable companies without fast-paced marketing that provide equal or better value for the money, IMO. Companies like Bybee, HiDiamond and Cardas. I am probably not the only one who feels as I do about SR and other companies with fast-paced marketing.
sabai
If one feels the need to chase the latest and GREATEST(?), then a price has be paid. This is NOT limited to Audio.

I wish Porsche has a upgrade program. Every year they manage to tweak out a few extra hp, lbs of torques and raise the top speed. I wonder if these are scheduled releases to stay profitable and in business or just a marketing scheme? Sure wish they can build a PERFECT car with no more improvements. Does anyone really need to top out @195 instead of @194 mph? LOL!!!
Just like Synergistic Upgrades, I can't afford a Porsche either. And if I could, I would spend the money on Audio Equipment instead.
Ozzy,
Thanks for jogging my memory on these details. You are correct. This is what I was trying to get at. The SR trade-up program is no gift to customers. It is well conceived to be as profitable as possible. An upgrade program would never generate the same profit margin. Just figure the math to do 4 trade-ups to get to the top level of the PowerCell. For me that's big bucks. No way I could ever afford it.

Me too. Who needs a Porsche? I would rather spend the money on better sound. I just keep fixing my old beater and it keeps on rolling.

Mapman,
You make an excellent point. To be able to afford the best possible results within our budgets we have to buy carefully -- used preferably. With a bit of patience, looking down the road at the upgrades in the pipeline, you can usually pick up a really good buy a year or 2 after product launch.
Sabai - IMO you rise many valid points. It is worth noting, that not all companies have such a short product cycles.

AQ Sky - in prroduction since 2003
Nordost Valhalla - launched in 2002 ? with only a small connector change to WBT
van den Hul The First - launched in 1995, still beeing manufactured, with only two small production changes (new connectors and a different outer braid).

Even Shunyata - which cables I like a lot - changes models too soon, and that is every 2 years. 7 months ? Pls give me a break.
Porsche is just an example. It applies to boats, clothes, women ... Not all new are created equal. Some are just different and not better. Companies have to walk a fine line from alienating customers in releasing garbage just for the sake of revenue.

I like to improve international relations whenever possible. Sabai, here's an idea. If you can decrease the number of ICs, SCs and PCs that you run in a series from 100 to something more manageable, you got plenty of money for upgrades.

That's my contribution to world peace today and I would appreciate a fellow Agon member nominate me for the Nobel Peace Prize.