The Problem with Synergistic Research

The problem is one that a number of cable makers suffer from. I preface my remarks by noting this not a problem that is exclusive to Synergistic Research. I use SR as an example because I am more familiar with their cables than with the cables of other companies that have the same problem.

The problem is the cost of incremental improvements. SR makes some great products. But, in spite of their copy writing, not all SR products are great, IMO. Some SR products have made great improvements in my system -- like the Tesla SE Hologram D power cord. That having been said, in retrospect, despite the bally-hoo that surrounds SR product launches, most of their products have brought no more than incremental improvements to my system. Products from other cable companies have brought equal or greater improvements for me -- often at much lower cost.

The problem is that SR has such fast-paced marketing with products coming out at a gallop supplanting recently released products -- such as the SR line of PowerCell conditioners -- that I sometimes feel I have been left in the dust.

We cannot stop the relentless march of technology. But at the high price of most of SR's offerings one is often left with sense of being left out instead of left in when new products come on the heels of products one has just purchased. The SR trade-up program does not remedy this problem at all, IMO.

There are many other cable companies without fast-paced marketing that provide equal or better value for the money, IMO. Companies like Bybee, HiDiamond and Cardas. I am probably not the only one who feels as I do about SR and other companies with fast-paced marketing.
sabai
Hey Gloria,
Long time no hear. I have no idea what you are talking about. Frankly, anyone who is trying to nail anyone to the wall on these forums needs to get that old blood pressure cuff on to check if things are within the normal range -- especially the diastolic. Too many people take things too darn seriously here. After all, this is just an audio forum, is it not?
Sabai,
I used to own lots of Synergistic wire. I owned the Resolution Reference cables. They sounded great at the time. I got tired of all the Active Shielding mess. It really became a pain to plug all that stuff in. When SR replaced it with the new line I looked into trading up. Much to expensive. Also it took months to get a Quattro fixed. So guess what, I took a chance on the Signal Cable line. I found it did everything the SR stuff did for far less money and without Active Shielding!! So what do you know, I found that cables are very hyped. They all do sound different but it is hard to out do high quantities of good old pure copper for the speaker and power cords. I do use the partially Silver Resolution interconnects. Throw in high quality connectors and one has a wire that will stand head to toe with anything I've had in my system. Frank at Signal Cable is to be commended.

Besides I really believe one would achieve better results by spending $20,000.00 on a new DAC or preamp than wire. If I had tens of thousands of bucks to spend I might get interested in new wire again. I'll keep my Signal Cable.
We found that there are a few audio companies now offering thirty day trial periods for their products. This offering would solve most issues of paying more money for the latest or upgraded product versus the value realized from the performance (knowing that perceptions by each person will be as different as each other’s listening room).

Trade in programs are great incentives for maintaining a client base but Sabai does make a financial point on having to pay additional import tax, duty and freight fees thus governing ones decision to make the trade and without knowing if said trade is worth the money. If SR provided a return guarantee then Sabai is only out the return freight costs and could possibly remain a satisfied customer.

Granted in that cable manufactures may fear too many returns based on client listening objections or having to pay for the added administrative costs in providing such a program but would not a long time well spoken loyal customer be worth that risk and expense?

You may also find that the companies offering return policies are extremely confident in that their products are on a one way trip and truthfully I love to see that attitude of certainty in a company. Some of these companies have products still being sold today that have not changed for ten to twenty years so what does that say about their company?

My opinion is if you are involved in this controversial high end audio business and truly believe that your products are some of the best offered a thirty day return policy will strengthen your bottom line and customer base over time. If not then it is back to the old drawing boards.
Sgr,
Your experience parallels mine in many ways. Like you, I have found there is more than one way to skin a cat. The hyping of new cable products seems to be the rule now and this must be taken with a grain of salt, IMO, for the reasons I outlined in my earlier post.

In my system I still use SR cables -- in series with cables from HiDiamond, Bybee, Cardas, ASI Liveline and Supra LoRad (as a bridge connector with Oyaide plugs/IECs) to achieve the effects I am looking for. I find that active shielding helps the sound -- especially when used in series with other cables.

But, like you, I find the "Active Shielding mess" with SR wires a problem. The MPC wires are all over the place and with my equipment close to the wall (until we remodel the house) it is very difficult to squeeze behind the components to see what's what and try to untangle things.

I have not had Signal Cable products in my system. I will look them up.

Studiosoundman,
The kind of trial period you describe would be very helpful -- with special terms for overseas customers because of the shipping time lag. In my own business, I have an extended trial period and word of mouth keeps the return rate extremely low. I rarely get a return. I am not in the audio business, but this same thinking applies.

Your observation about companies being extremely confident in their products, many of which have not changed for ten to twenty years, hits the nail on the head. There are products out there that have stood the test of time. Some of them have taken my system to a new level -- at an aftermarket cost that is a fraction of the price of a new high-end cable -- Bybee comes to mind. And there are some products out there that are new to me that provide superior results and superior value -- HiDiamond comes to mind.
And here’s my experience with S.R. It’s not beautiful.
For years, I had been eying on S.R. cables, so after trying some of their pre-owned cables and cords, I love them. They help tuning my system up to where I wanted to be, “heaven.” All cables and cords were purchased USED at Agon and eBay with great success. I wanted to move up.

But sadly, just before I initiate to their higher products, an incident happened that totally changed my perspective about S.R. I would NEVER buy (or associate) S.R. again.

S.R. loss my interest and fate when an old set of my Alpha Sterling RCA interconnect started intermittent. I took my chance and decided to cut off one outer heat shrink knowing the warranty was then voided. (I later found from S.R that this old USED and SECOND HAND interconnect wouldn’t be covered by the company any ways.) WOW, to my shockingly surprised, the positive (+) AND negative (-) leads were NEVER BEEN SOLDERED to the connector. (Email me for pics NasaMan11006@yahooDOTcome) The solder cup was still freshly and shinny clean showing no indication of it being ever got soldered on. I went numb. I felt I was being cheated. But that wasn’t it, there’s more.

Per discuss with Michael Platt from S.R on Jan7th, I mailed it in with the remaining of the heat shrink still intact with the connector and the cable proving all authentic from S.R.

Long story short, S.R denied to take the responsibility, but wanted to charge $50 for the repair. What reason? No warranty for second hand owner. The cable been out on the market for years, God knows what others did to it….
Hello? This is a workmanship matter. Your assembler totally missed soldering the leads to the connector. This is a high-end business with cables that cost up to 10 of thousands, I thought they’d do more critical testing and verifying before shipping them out rather than just ohm out for continuity check. I was furor and didn’t know where to go. S.R was my favorite cable company…
I’m writing this not to bash S.R. but, perhaps, just to share my experience and POV. This is my first time revealing and sharing this matter with all since it happened in Jan.
For me, it was a great journey with S.R. but after this incident, I’m not buying any more S.R cables and cords which I don’t think Ted and the company really care since I’m only buying pre-owned while they aim and focus to newer market.

Below is the exchanged email between me (John) and Michael Platt from S.R.. He was straight forward, a gentleman, and professional. I never blame him but the policy and their workman ship.

---- Yahoo email, COPIED AND PASTED----
John,

Thank you very much for the compliments. We hope you will visit with us again at future RMAF events, and we appreciate your continued support.

It is very important to keep in mind that this cable cannot be serviced under warranty. We have a standard non-transferable warranty policy, which means that we do not provide warranty service for second-hand products. If the cable was not functioning when you received it from the party who sold it to you, you should contact them directly and demand a refund.

It is not likely this cable shipped from our factory in a defective state, but since this cable is at least six years old, it is not possible for us to determine exactly what happened to it. The original owner did not contact us or his dealer to report any malfunctions. Our examination revealed obvious signs of use, which leads us to believe that the cable was functioning normally for many years.

John, we will return this cable to you as requested. We will pay for the freight.

Best,

Mike

. On 1/12/12 12:54 PM, Pham, Giao John wrote:
Hi Mike,
Beside many other great cable companies, me and folks at AudioGon, AudioReview and Audio Asylum have very high regards on SR brand. In our communities, we always do respect Ted’s enthusiastic, his products, and his time endlessly dedicated to this interesting hobby and business.
If I didn’t meet him at the Rocky Mountain Audio show last year, 2010, I would probably didn’t own many other much higher price SR’s cords and cables as of today; I trusted his work and his reputation.
Today, we are discussing about a matter that was clearly involved to a workmanship standard; A SOLDER JOINT THAT WAS CLEAR MISSED by SR’s assembler. I sent the cables in so SR can review the issue and correct it accordingly.
However, I do respect your protocol. Unfortunately, DO NOT REPAIR . Please leave them as is and return the cables. Please let me know how much for the shipping fee to Texas 77054 and type of payment.
Sincerely Yours,
John