Power Cords - Just Say Yes

I'm the biggest cable skeptic on the planet. I've never been able to tell the difference between one speaker cable over the other. I've never a/b tested because I just can't handle that sort of thing when all I want to do is listen to music. The power cord however is a whole different beast. I know. I just replaced a 18/3 that was powering my Rogue Cronus Magnum for two years with an Audioquest NRG4. I know some people aren't fans of AQ but that's what my local guy sells and I support him 100%. He sold me a broken in demo which is exactly what I wanted. I didn't do an a/b test and I didn't have to. I pulled the old one out and tossed it in the copper recycling pile and replaced it with the AQ. I fired up my amp this morning and let her warm up. I pulled out Sylvain Luc & Bireli Agrene's 'Duet' and hit the play button on the remote. Right off the bat I had to blink my eyes to make sure I was actually in my house. Everything tightened up with a dead silent background. I feel like a fool for waiting so long to come around on this one. I'm still skeptical of whether or not I will notice a difference when I replace the power cord to my CDP, but if you tell me I'll notice I might believe you. Either way, that's my next investment.
donjr
I was somewhat like the op in not believing power cables could make a difference. Then I bought a Pangea. Cheap but yeah it made a positive difference.
I STILL think spending more than 10% of equipment cost on cables is foolish (better to spend that money on the actual electronics)
But sure, better cables can sound better.

Funny how no one changes sides from 'cables matter' to 'all cables sound the same'. But DO switch sides to yeah 'cables matter' from 'all cables are the same'... after finally finding a cable they can hear making a difference.
I had a dedicated circuit added a couple of years ago with a Porter Port and I couldn't tell the difference. It finally occurred to me that my 18 awg stock power cord made that investment a bit ridiculous so I might as well complete the chain. I could have done it for less money and probably should have picked up a Pangaea from Amazon with free shipping but I really wanted to look at my dealer in the eyes as he told me "you're going to notice a difference". He did in fact say that but I still didn't think I would be able to decipher the difference. After all, I went from spool speaker cable to Chord Company Carnival to Audioquest Rockefeller without ever noticing a difference. I haven't had a hearing test in a long time but I do know my hearing isn't all that good. That's why I was a bit shocked with this power cord. I'm never going to chase cables because it doesn't make sense to me. I'm glad I have pretty speaker cables with batteries in them but the power cord gives me a
sense of pride in myself. For the first time I feel like a got something for my money. This is in my system which isn't all that resolving. I might be able to hear differences in speaker cables in someone else's system, just not mine. That's a good thing for me because it's one less area of concern.
Power cords indeed DO make an improvement in every component in my system. You also do not need to spend megabucks for a great cord.
I just had a bummer moment. I bought a Pangea Ac14se and it doesn't work. There's a problem with the component end. I have to wiggle it to get it to maintain power. I thought I must have hosed my cdp power but when I put the stock cord back on and gently move it the problem doesn't persist. I'm a little concerned about the quality control with the Pangea cord. I might return it and get an Audioquest NRG2. That would be about the Max Id spend for my modest system (cdp). I bought this cable through Amazon from Audio Advisor and one of the twist ties was off the cable. That kind of makes me wonder if Chinese laborers smoke pot for lunch or I was sold a used cable.