Best blues guitarist, Clapton or Green

I know Clapton is God, but is he a better blues guitarist than Peter Green.
cody
My vote goes to the last of the real country blues players,the "deep blues," and that's Otis Rush. Clapton got at least a third of his licks from this guy. Another third from B. B. and the other third might even be his own. But Otis Rush, that's the real deal. And not only that, but this cat can out-sing all theese other dudes, too.thee's a lot of great names on this list, although I think that the number of SRV mentions points to a mainstream type of thinking. It'ss not that far from SRB to Robin Trower, if you ask me. i like them both but I'm not going to put them in the front rank. IMO.
Well, I've got throw in my 2 cents. Neither Clapton or Green are "THE BEST". So many of the names above have touched me at one time or another. SRV, Clapton, Green, Guy, Winter, Betts, Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins, Lonnie Brooks, Buchanan, Benoit, Joe Louis Walker, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Boz Scaggs, Gatton, Ledbelly...Man it goes on and on. I've heard them all. I've also been lucky enough to see alot of these players. One guy no one has mentioned, who is one of my faves is..Freddy KING! He'll talk to ya. Great singer too. 'describing music is like dancing to architecture' Forgot who said that, but I agree. Too bad there's so much to enjoy.......Hey, Hey the blues is alright!
So many of you guys are so lucky to have seen so many great performers. I wish I could say the same. I didn't really get into blues until the past 5 years or so and I'll always kick myself for not going to see SRV when he was here in Cedar Rapids, IA in 88 or 89 when I was a senior in H.S. My dad has always liked good guitar music(Roy Clark,Carl Perkins,Buchanan,Gatton, etc.) so I got to thank him for opening my eyes. My favorites are SRV, Buchanan(The Messiah Will Come Again makes my hair stand on end and gives me goosebumps thinking about it), Danny Gatton, Ronnie Earl, BB, Kenny Wayne,and Clapton. I saw Clapton a couple of years ago when he toured with the orchestra and it was incredible! Saw K.W.S a month ago and he was also amazing. Going to see him in 2 weeks and can't wait. Keep on posting more names so I have more to check out. Brent
Eric Clapton was definitely God of Guitar in his early days. By far the best guitarist in this group as far as ROCK (which is influenced by the Blues)- I do not think he ever called himself a Blues guitarist. Which is the better Blues, will leave that up to you guys who know more about blues than I do. New here & just thought would add some comments to your great topic. Clapton was in for the music from the beginning & walked out of the Yardbirds just before they became big as he thought they were in for money & going commercial. Eric went for the music & did become rich w/ CREAM. He was friends w/ Jimi Hendrix & jammed w/ Hendrix. Have not heard any of that myself- would be interested. After his recovery from cocaine & heroin addiction (they had to buy some heroin to get cocaine from their dealer), it seems to me that he never played as well as he did w/ CREAM. Listen to CREAM - WHEELS Of FIRE & you will know why he is God of Guitar ! Great is an overused word- does apply to CREAM- I never tire of CREAM ! PS Agree w/ Madisonears comments about Eric & Cream. Johnny Winter was another great.
Green and Clapton were the first white Blues guitarists who broke into the scene and made a big contribution to the music of Blues in terms of popularizing it-- especially Clapton. But, although they are technically great, their phrasing and conveying raw emotions may not be up to par with the old legends. I think, beside the scale (pentatonic) and beat, Blues is all about raw emotions. I have not heard any white guitarists, including SRV, who can pour them out like black counterparts. Dynamics, vibrato, and delicate timing are critically different between them -- what a generalization. If you don't want to go back to Muddy Waters or T-Bone, you may want to try Red House by Hendrix. It differs greatly from Clapton's or SRV's.