Who R U?

A while back Garfish mentioned he lked the idea of getting to know some of us better.As no one has started a thread like this before I will take the plunge.I have been involved in and read many heated exchanges here in AudioGon.I hope no one attacks me for this thread saying "who cares about you,this is audio" Anyway,Im 45 and live in W.N.Y.I have never been married but have a music loving 11 year old daughter who lives with me.I have been a nurse for 20 years.Before that I was a Navy Corpsman for several years.I recently became engaged (first time) to a beautiful 30 year old music loving woman.At my age a 30 year old is a keeper and I have never been happier!! My other interests??Im into vinyl,who has time for anything else??
david99
Twl, I already enjoyed your postings. Now I understand and have respect for the guy that penned them.

Welcome to Audiogon and thanks for sharing your history.
Hi folks, not quite sure why I put this off so long; perhaps the appeal of complete anonymity.

I am a forty three year old professional musician living and working in New York City. I am a native of Cuba, who at the age of ten had the privilege of being allowed, along with some (long story) in my immediate family, entry into the greatest country on the planet to start a new life. My first musical instrument was the accordion, which I began to play at age five, while still in Cuba. I continued to play the accordion until age twelve at which time I mistakenly decided that the instrument was just not cool enough. The following year I enrollled in High School band, and what cool instrument did I start playing? The clarinet. Go figure.

The clarinet was followed by the tenor saxophone, and it was then that I decided to pursue music studies seriously as a career choice. I attended and graduated from the University of Miami School of Music; by then I had added the flute and all the members of the clarinet and saxophone families to my arsenal, and decided to make the move to the Big Apple. I have been fortunate to have made my living only playing music while working my way up the ranks of the professional freelance scene in the Apple. Professional credits include frequent performances with the NY Philharmonic, NYC Ballet, NYC Opera (where I just finished the run of "Porgy and Bess"), and Metropolitan Opera (where I am currently playing saxophone in their productions of "Lulu" and "The Great Gatsby"). I spent three years playing baritone saxophone in the "Saturday Night Live" band, and currently in the orchestra for the Broadway hit "The Full Monty"; my seventh full time Broadway engagement. I have recorded with NY Philharmonic, Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, EOS Orchestra, NY Pops, and Boston Symphony Chamber Players as well as many commercial projects; and I am a member of the American Saxophone Quartet. Although I perform in a variety of different settings, I am most passionate about orchestral bass clarinet and orchestral saxophone work. Anyway, enough of that.

I have a wonderful eleven year old son (the real "Frogman")from my first marriage, who demonstrates a lot of musical talent already and recently started playing the saxophone in his school band; his mother and I share custody. I recently remarried to a wonderful woman who is very patient and understanding of my unorthodox work schedule and crazy audio habit. We are expecting a child ("tadpole"?)in December. Max, our pet chihuahua, rounds out the family.

My interest in audio began when I purchased my first stereo as a freshman in college. Remember the Panasonic "Thrusters" system? I had scrimped and saved from my weekend gigs to spend the 300.00 only to be disappointed that it wasn't nearly as satisfying as my best pal's huge and ancient Philco tube-based floor standing console. I made a pest of myself at the JC Penny where I bought the "Thrusters" complaining to the salesman that the turntable had too much, and very audible, wow. He thought I was nuts, and after exchanging it twice, insisted that I take my money back and go elsewhere.

At about the same time I discovered the dealer Sound Components in Miami and I knew then that I was in trouble. I will never forget the impression that stacked Quads and Levinson ML-2's made on me; the sound was glorious. Not being able to afford anything so lofty I settled on SAE seperates and EPI speakers with an original AR table. A succession of upgrades followed that has included ARC, CJ, Berning, PSAudio, Thiel, BK, Counterpoint, ML, Quad, and many other major brands . Several years ago I got the modification bug and have spent countless hours with a soldering iron learning as I went about the effects of upgrading caps, coils, wire, etc. It became an obsession of sorts, with the main victim being my Maggie MGIIIA's that are by now almost a different speaker, so extensive are the crossover and panel mods. I don't have much time for a soldering iron these days, and have settled on a system that I find very satisfying (although I still have the Maggies). I have had this system for some time as I don't feel the urge to change equipment very often anymore. My priorities as far as sound are concerned are for tonal naturalness and realistic dynamics (micro). I am willing to give up ultimate low frequency extension for a truly natural midrange. I will also give up ultimate loudness (ffff) if the music gets from ppp to f in a natural and realistic way. I oftent need my system to perform as a study tool in order to study scores and learn parts that I may have to perform, and I find that a system that let's me hear really subtle differences in timbre and dynamics is what I need; as well as being most satisfying when I just want to listen for the sake of enjoyment. I have found that for me, analog and tube based equipment, mated to electrostats (and to a lesser extent, the Maggies)is the way to go. I am a committed tweaker and firmly believe that just as with musical instruments, anything that you do to a component wether it be about placement or mass adjustment WILL change the sound. My system consists of VPI/ET/Vandenhul, EAD, Melos, Manley Ref., Stax F-81, Siltech and Wireworld; and my NOS tube collection keeps growing. I own about 2000 LP's and a few hundred CD's. Although I have recordings of music in just about every genre, my collection is primarily classical and jazz, with emphasis on orchestral, winds, and jazz vocals.

Besides my family, music and audio, my interests include single malt Scotch, cycling, tropical fish, and my Saab Turbo SPG. I discovered Audiogon about a year and a half ago and have been extremely impressed with the depth of knowledge and generosity exibited by it's membership; very impressive indeed. My main interest has been the exchanges concerning the music and as some of you might have noticed, I can be abnoxious when it comes to beating the drum for the importance of support for live music; and for music in general, as opposed to the silly "audio-jock" mentality that Audiogon is thankfully not saturated with.

I look forward to my continued participation in this forum and wish you all the very best
Very cool, Frogman! You really have some fantastic talent. I'll definitely pay attention when you give a listener's evaluation about a product. Your ears must be well tuned to what real music is like. Welcome.
Karl_Desch - I wasn't able to catch the strokes when they came through, now I don't feel so bad about it. I'm sure I'll see them eventually, I've been warned though. One of the worst shows I ever saw was Bowie in an arena - zero presence, hundreds of yards away, just watching the monitors - so I got a ticket to see him in a 3,000 seat auditorium, and he cancelled cause he strained his voice the night before.
Tim, If I catch heat for the rap remark, so be it. I can brush it off. I'm sorry, but IMHO it still is not music. That's why we say to each his own, and as audiophiles, we all have different equipment. I would love to hear some of what your favorite smooth jaz recordings are.