Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
Wow! 45 Springbank! Would def love to try...though i wonder is it better or just older and rarer? That said, the 21 and 35 are pretty sensational.

If you EVER get that 45 cracked open...pls post!
Had 30 and 40 year old Laphroaig, prefer the 30.
Had 21 and 35 year old Springbank, prefer the 21.
Had 18 and 25 year old Macallan, prefer the 18.
Just goes to show......Older is not always better.

Caveat(although it frequently is)
Totally agree!!

I think the 25-yr Macallan is waaay overpriced and i have been saying it for nearly 7 years now. The 30-yr is stunning beyond all belief...but the 18 imho is better than the 25! Good to know on the others.

I am inclined to agree on Springbank 21 as well...that is one special bottle. Thank goodness i bought 2! ;)
I agree with the comments above about age. I feel that 16 -24 years is generally ideal, although some, lowland scotches for instance, are generally regarded as best drunk at younger ages. But once in a while an over-30 bottle has something magical that I have never experienced from a younger bottle. I have had two over-30's which were not excellent - you pays your money and you takes your chances.

For some reason young scotches are popular in Italy, I can't imagine why.

I am entirely persuaded that avoiding chill filtering is important to tasting the full flavor of a whisky.

45 year old Springbank! I volunteer to help! Rare, and likely to be very different and interesting, but not necessarily "better" than other Springbanks. Scotch really does not improve past the early 30's, as far as I know. But I intend to continue the research...

I agree with whoever above observed that the oak McAllans are not comparable to their traditional format, but the sherry in McAllan is sometimes just too much. You need to keep a few bottles of different types handy!

I will put in votes for the great Glenmorangie and Balvenie bottles, first rank distilleries. They are very rarely available in independent bottlings.
Good call on the Balenvie from what i have read...not tried. But will!!!

I have an older Glenmorangie which i enjoy...a nice gift from good friends who know me well.

I agree with your comments, Lloydc, on the Macallans and have had some non-chill filtered which were wonderful...i enjoy the flavors but would not profess enuf knowledge to know if it was the lack of chill filtering or not.

BTW, i have a rare 34-year old Demerara Rum...exceedingly rare for rum to be this old. Whoa...even my fiancee can drink it straight. It is a wonderful treat we picked up when we popped into the Whisky Shop which has several hundred bottles...and they also had a small rum section of rare rums. Cool!