Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
Hi Sunnyboy1956

Agree the Hibekki 17yr is good stuff. My favorite is the Yoichi 20yr which my wife got me when she was in Japan.

BTW, i just picked up a Springbank 21-yr. I managed to get 2 last yr...have kept 1, and will keep the 2nd as well.
Not a big drinker at all, but recently been introduced to single malt scotch and have sampled: Dalwinnie 15 yr, Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, & Glenmorangie 10 yr. The Dalwinnie and Glenmorangie are my favorites but I think I like bourbon better.
All comparable whiskeys with a somewhat more similar flavor...certainly compared to the smokier stuff (Laphraoig, Springbank, Lagavulin). Bourbon is going to be sweeter than these, and somewhat 'richer' tasting. Dalwhinnie is quite a light drink and a quick clean finish as i recall. Have you tried Sazerac Rye? I have the 18yr and find it truly stunning. Falls along the Bourbon category, but somewhere between sweeter bourbons and the more 'straight' whiskeys you've tried.
Not to highjack this thread, but I have long been interested in Michael Jackson's (no not THAT Michael Jackson!) books on whisky. The most recent edition was compiled posthumously, as MJ died a few years ago. I was wondering what the community's appraisal of the latest edition? Do you think the reviews and comments capture Michael's assessments of the various bottlings, or is it a major departure from his palate and style?