Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
Thanks Unsound...I have definitely heard of Park Ave Liquors...great reputation. Thanks for reminding many of us!
Lloydelee, I completely agree about the Macallan 18 vs the 25. I have been saying the same thing for some time and gotten frowns from some friends. I have always felt the 18 is THE ONE.

Recently received a gift of Macallan "cask-strength". No indication as to age. I am a fan of cask strength malts, but while this is interesting and I do enjoy it, I find it surprisingly rough and syrupy even with a couple of drops of water (spring, of course) added to relax things. Disappointing overall.

Far more interesting and one that I never would have guessed I would enjoy as much as I do (given my past experience with non-Scottish single malt whiskies, particularly Japan) is the Amrut "Fusion" from (are you ready?) India! I know , I know.... But, a very interesting malt with lots of spice and chocolate notes. Very reasonably priced too. Recommended!
Thanks, Frogman! I have been reading good things about the Amrut... I think some of the newer Macallan stuff is a bit of marketing sadly. Does not mean there is not good new Macallan coming out...just that I think they're flooding the market a bit and taking advantage of their reputation. For the money now, i would definitely opt for an older Glenrothes.
I have really started to enjoy scotch and bourbon over the last 3 years but have invested considerable effort to make up for my lost years. In my approach, I really tried to get to know the different scotch regions as well as irish and american whiskey as well. My go to favorite is the Balvenie, a wonderful Speyside scotch. The 15 year single barrel is to me the best $ spent for scotch but if you get a chance to have the 21 you will be in for a real treat. A good friend just laid out and got a bottle of Balvenie 30 so I hope to get some of that soon. In terms of bourbons, the Blanton's is my best for the $. I have been lucky to get to share all of the Pappy Van Winkle line as well as the higher end Michter's (just got a bottle of Michter's 20). The irish redbreast 12 is my favorite irish spirit.
All great whiskys and have been fortunate to have tried nearly all of the ones you mention. You may like Glenrothes older ones if you like Balvenie...its a bit thicker but also Speyside. Better value for money than Macallan which (can sometime) be wonderful...particularly 18-year...but so expensive due to name recognition. Sazerac 18-year rye bourbon is amazing...regular Sazerac not bad either...Buffalo Trace is the group company, but I like Sazerac better than regular Buffalo Trace so far. On Irish, try Midleton if you can find it...very much in the Irish line (clean, distilled, etc) but also a bit richer in flavour while still smooth. Enjoy!!!