Extended Warrenty???

I recently puchased a 65" Mitsubishi big sceen TV. The dealer was really pushing the extended warrenty (5 years for about $350). Are these necessary? Helpful? Do you really need to clean/realine these every year? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I can still get in on it before the TV is delivered. Thanks!
revdog
I think it really depends on what services you are getting for your money. I bought a 53" Sony (HDTV ready)a few months back and paid $300 Cdn $ ($200 US equivalent) for a 5 year extended program. It was really only 3 years as Sony warranteed the unit for first 2 years to begin with. But at $100/yr or 27 cents/day I bought "piece of mind" with the intent to hold onto the unit for at least the warranty period (while the HDTV thing settles in by 2006??)

The key issue is what does it cover - only repairs or repairs + cleaning + annual convergence set-up? The Sony Tech performed the convergence (which only he can do with the remote, hidden button formula that I couldn't see) after delivery and it made a significant difference. I myself am not sure about if I can get this done every year for free but if your program covers it, I'd say go for it but then again its not my money...
Extended warranties are for the rich, the fools, or better yet they are for the rich fools.

The only reason this schmo wants you to buy the warranty is because he gets a healthy commission from it. You'd be better off just handing him a couple hundred bucks directly and forget about the warranty.
While I am neither a fool nor rich its nice to see an opposing viewpoint even if I don't happen to agree with it.