Potential problem with sale.

I didn't see this possible dilema addressed in the archives. My question has to do with a product you sell being properly represented, no functional or comsmetic issues, but not being compatible with the buyer's system. Case in point-- I have recently sold a dvd player (Camelot) which when hooked up to the buyer's 16:9 tv (Panasonic) produces uneven blackbars when playing a 2.35:1 movie in progressive scan mode-thin bar at the top and a wider bar at the bottom. The buyer is going to trade his tv for a Mitsubishi tomorrow and hopefully this will be a non-issue. I had no problems with my Sony XBR2. What is my obligation to the buyer if the new tv performs in the same manner? Am I to let him return the player to me for refund? My opinion is that sales on Audiogon are final and not a trial of the equipment (if properly represented). I have good feedback, and wouldn't want that to change because of this transaction. I am interested in the views and opinions of other Audiogoners as to this situation. Thanks for your time and input.

Jeff Strossner
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjstrossner
Jameswei is right on the money. No obligation on your part, you should not be out any $, but it would be a nice gesture. BTW, I also have items I've bought, sitting in a cupboard, cause I didn't do my research. If its my mistake, I probably would not ask for a refund on a minor cost item; in this case, I might, offering to pay shipping both ways, transaction costs, and re-listing costs.
If there was/is nothing wrong with the unit and no discussion or representation was made regarding compatibility, this is the buyers problem. You could offer to help them re-sell by iquiring with others who were interested when you sold originally and encourage the new owner to list on a-gon at a reasonable price (which is exactly what you would have to do if you took it back).
Thanks to all for the good advice. Well, the Camelot performed in the same mannor with the Mitsubishi. I called Howard at Camelot Tech. and was told that the blackbar situation occurs with some tvs and some 2.35:1 media. This was not listed in the manual. The buyer was going to call and discuss the situation with Howard. Camelot will gladly check out the unit (still under transferable warranty) if the buyer requests. I'll see what they come up with.
Jeff
Compatibility issues can be sticky at times. I bought a piece from someone that worked in his rig but hummed like crazy in mine. I played around with the usual tweaks but to no avail. I told him about the problems & he offered a full refund including shipping - I was amazed but certainly gratified. A happy buyer meant more to him than $ from the sale did.
Having been treated so well in this situation I just wanted to mention it, but Jeff this is not your obligation of course. If you are inclined to make him whole, then have it shipped back to you on contingency that if inspection reveals no damage (scratches or electro-mechanical problems etc) then you would send him a refund less shipping. This isn't anyone's fault really, but it's absolutely your call. The buyers' story sounds reasonable enough.
IMHO every case is different enough that a standard policy probably won't work.