Best DVD plyr for under 1000 new or used ?

Hi - Running Pioneer Elite Pro 520, Direct TV HD, Krell KAV 250a, and Krell KAV 500, Lexicon MC-1 with B&W N804, 805, HTM1. I gave my DVD plyr to my dad and need a new one, and would like to spend $1k or less given that I don't watch too many DVDs. Since I have the Pioneer TV, was favoring Pioneer DVD and looking at DV38a. Any new models or new stuff coming out? All advice appreciated... -Baz
bazmataz
from what i have read, the sonys will play CDRs if you use the right recording software and/or CDR media. the 9000es is a VERY good deal for $825. i would take it over the pioneers in a heartbeat...but that's just me.
i can just envision that my brand of cd recorder or my brand of cds or my software won't be correct for this player, and then what do i do? prob not a risk i'm willing to take... just a thought. any ideas about the ead unit? b
Most all DVD players will play CD-RW disks. I have 3 that do. Do some research and see what you find out about the EAD. Try secrets of home theater.
If you are susceptible to the chroma bug, the Pioneer, Toshiba, and Sony are all afflicted (pretty much in descending order of severity). Don't know if it's ok to say this, but there are two sets of progressive player shootouts over at Secrets of Home Theater www.hometheaterhifi.com That's the best treatise I have seen on all the pros and cons of various players. There are tons of issues and tradeoffs, and no perfect player at any price.

I found that Imation brand cdr disks work great on my dvp-s9000es. I try to burn at 2x or 4x speeds, which seems to help as well. Feel free to email me if i can be of further assistance.

sam
sam82264@hotmail.com