Opinions on the Bose 901

A friend of mine just gave me an old pair of Bose 901 Series IV. All the foam surrounds have crumbled, but the cabinets and the EQ are in decent shape. A foam surround kit plus the dust caps is less than $90 USD at ( www.partsexpress.com ).

I am pretty much set with my Swans M1 near field system--it rocks, especially after adding a 3000W ONEAC 220V isolation transformer. I am looking at using the Bose as HT speakers or as a background music system--I like to have music all over while I cook...

I am seeking unbiased opinions as to how I could use these speakers in a 2 channel HT setup:

The Series IV has a third contact between the (+)and the (-)(is it a ground?) which was used with the Bose Receiver's "spatial control". It allowed changing how much energy was sent towards the inside or outside reflecting surfaces--it was like a fader control, but from inside to outside.

If I use them for HT, I could use a homemade preamp that would allow such control and the 901's could become a "virtual center channel" by shifting the energy balance towards the area between the speakers. I think this could offer a neat movie viewing effect in the absense of a Pro Logic, THX, DTS, 5.1, 7.1, 10.2 or a 15.3 decoder.

A false gypsum wall could be constructed for having my 27" Sony WEGA flush and provide a good reflective surface for the 901's.

I will appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks,

P/A
psychicanimal
OK, 1st, doing the surrounds on these is a lot harder than it looks, in my opinion. I do a fair amount of surrounds, I say the larger ones are easier to do, far easier. I am currently doing a set of 901's for a guy that got "frustrated" and made a mess on the first few. If you decide to do this, write me and I will share with you my caveats.
The spatial control I have played with on the reciever, I am regretfully old enough to have used them new, and I am trying to restore a dead one at the moment. Diffuses the sound stage for lack of a better word,making it broader, and if there is anything a Bose does not need, its to have its sound stage broadened or diffused. Bose used to make a statement about how music would sound "larger than life". Thats all fine and good, but I never wanted it quite that large. I kinda think of the Bose as the 1st unintentional surround sound receiver. They are beautiful pieces though.
I think in a HT situation 901's could actually be pretty good, especially for the ambient noises of day to day living that also gets portrayed, their broad spread of sound could actually make a movie quite involving.
I think it might be fun to give it a try in the situation your describing
Thanks a lot, Jvia. I concur with you that 901's could be very involving for HT. Also, the Series IV are the prettiest of all. One of my speakers and front grille is somewhat discolored from the sun--I wonder if the cloth could be obtained through Bose or somewhere...

I am old enough to have played with them Bose receivers, while working at Stereo Warehouse, but I was 20 years old at the time. I would have a "spatial control" built not to diffuse the sound more, but rather to concentrate it towards the area between the speakers. This would create a "virtual center channel", where sound would appear to emanate from the TV screen, yet still allowing a very wide L to R soundstage.

I am also thinking of designing my own stands...
I don't know that I would be using them for the front channels, you of course will do what you want, but I think the would be far better as sides or rears to give you that illusion of being surrounded. I have difficulty with the idea of 901's being able to give you a strong center channel, its just not what they were designed to do. Good luck though.
Jvia, that's where the spatial control comes into play! And that's why I'm excited they're series IV. The new ones don't have that option...

I can always try by using a corner and trying the gypsum wall trick there...there would be more sound reflecting from the center, w/out having to use a spatial control.

Hey, got to give me credit for being creative...