It's a Bad Movie, But It Was Fun to Watch Anyway

There are three types of interesting movies. First, there are great movies that are great fun to watch. Second, there are great movies that are not particularly enjoyable to sit through. Finally there are those movies that are bad movies, but for some reason are still quite fun to watch. Using some Q. Tarantino related films as examples, "Pulp Fiction" is the first type, "Resevoir Dogs" is in the second group and "From Dusk to Dawn" is in the third. What puts a film in the bad but fun category can be anything - a great performance, a single great scene, breath taking cinematograpghy etc. For instance, in "FD2D" I love the opening sequence. That plus a wild soundtrack makes for enjoyable viewing experience.

I'm interested in hearing about what others think are examples of bad but fun films. Please explain specifically what you thought made an otherwise bad movie still fun to watch.

I'd like to nominate "Congo". It's beyond dopey, but watching first class actors (Tim Curry, Delroy Lindo, Joe Pants and Ernie Hudson) ham it up to the max is a joy. I particularly like the goofey accents.
128x128onhwy61
Here are two classics:

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA starring Kurt Russell, who plays the role of tough-guy Jack Burton in a cheesy fantasy action sci-fi film from the mid-80's. The opening scene is worth the price of admission!! Kurt Russell is alone, driving a semi-truck on a dark and stormy night and talking some trash in monologue style on a CB radio. You'll bust a gut laughing! Here's a link if you want to check it out:

http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/b/big-trouble-in-little-china.html

(Apparently they've now released a DVD version with some deleted scenes, etc.)

PRINCESS BRIDE - My favorite movie in this category (which I wouldn't quite classify as "bad" but it's definitely on the cheesy side). The story is a combination of action, adventure, drama, comedy and "true love" all wrapped into a fable that is being told by a grandfather (Peter Faulk) to his grandson. Billy Crystal's cameo appearance as a witch doctor is hillarious!
"Tremors" is a GREAT movie that's a true joy to watch. Reba & whathisname (Micheal...y'know, the guy from that sitcom) are a hoot as the survivalist.
"Future events such as these will affect your life in the future."

Plan 9 From Outer Space (dir. Ed Wood)

I used to rent these things and make my friends watch while we added commentary (like MST3k, but years before!)

gotta love it, babies!

KP
Tim, i knew a "young punk" like you would have good taste. Ya just gotta love ALL of those Troma Team Productions. I may be moving to Tromaville sometime soon : )

I also agree about Starship Troopers. Yeah, it's bad but i've watched it a few times too many anyhow : )

Sugar, you're selections sound WAY out there. I'll have to check them out : )

KP, MST3K was pretty funny at times. Amazing as to what constitutes entertainment nowadays. Then again, look at how "entertaining" this thread is : )

Here's a few that came to mind. I'm basically a sci-fi buff at heart, so keep that in mind. For the record though, i don't wear thick horn rimmed glasses or wear a pocket protector though : )

Army of Darkness surely qualifies as a BAD "horror filled action / adventure romantic sci-fi" if i ever saw one. Just as fun and stupid when you're watching it for the 10th time too : )

Dead Alive. This one has TONS of gore. It started off showing at about a dozen theaters in the Chicagoland area when it first came out. By the end of the day, there was only ONE theater still showing it and it was relegated to midnight showings only. I think that there are two different versions of this one, so try and get the unedited version. Nothing like giving haircuts with a lawn mower : )

While this one isn't really a "movie" per se, it is on film. Of course, i'm talking about all of the old Dr Who shows, especially the ones with Tom Baker. So bad that they were addicting : )

For current offerings, I'd like to nominate "Pootie-Tang" ( spelling ??? ). It's one of those movies that is SOOOOO bad that you keep watching to see just how bad it's going to get. Believe me, it doesn't let you down as it just gets worse and worse : ) Sean
>
ANGEL FIST--Naked female martial arts and Thai boxing movie starring Vidal Sassoon's daughter. Joe Bob Briggs said: "She sticks her fist in your face and has a face like a fist."

Oh, I'm going to hell for that one.