Separate Components

I WANT TO UPGRADE TO SEPARATES.
THIS WILL BE A MUSIC SYSTEM NOT AUDIO/VIDEO.
I AM NOT RICH!
WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST?
johnny7
I suggest you turn off caps lock, first. None of us are visually deaf (though I am occaisionally hard of reading). Then I suggest you provide us with just a little more information, like room size, musical preferences, some budget guidelines, maybe a peek at what you have and what you've already heard, etc. Depending on that info, we might have some idea of what you might want to audition. For instance, if you are really budget tight, integrated amps can sometimes be cost effective. If you listen mostly to heavy metal, we might not suggest panel speakers - that kind of thing. So - whats up?

chas
I think that for the budget audiophile, the integrated amp is the way to go. Go for as much quality as you can afford. Companies like Bryston or Musical Fidelity make very nice integrated amps for not a whole lot of money.
Let's see. For a brand new Preamp cheap, the best deal is the Cambridge Audio C500 $259. For $59 more you can add a decent phono stage to it. I would pair it with a better amp than Cambridge's P500. The rest you could go with used.(?)
A Conrad Johson PV-10 Tube Preamp with a MF2100 Solid State Amp is a great combination about $1200 used. If you do not want used, Northampton Audio(SpearitSound.com) have new/factory refurbished/warranted ones for $1800 for both.
If you do not like tubes, you could substitute a PF2 Preamp for $2000 total ($1300 used). CJ also had the Sonographe line that is great for beginners or those on a budget. A SC26 Preamp SA250 Amp combo will cost you used about $1000. Bryston already mentioned also makes some nice separates that are not too expensive. If are willing to try tubes, also look at the Anthem line by Sonic Frontiers.
You want some sort of high end audio so you dont keep buying and selling. Buy the classe intergrated amp used on the net for about 1,000 and a pair of martin logan aerius i used for 1,100 and a classe cd player cdp1.5 for about 1,100 and buy Harmonic technologies for cables. It is also important if you do listen to metal then you dont want martin logans. If you listen to anything else that will be a great starter system that you can build from. You can always add an amplifier to that system. that system would have a very warm and sweet sound I am not sure if thats the sound you want? Let me know I have many other combinations. GIVE US A BUDGET YOU NEED TO STAY UNDER.
Hi Johnny, I second the proposed combos above *AND* chas' & Lev's quest for more info... we're a bit in the dark (no pun intended).
Cheers!