Thanks for your response Lev335. I have had many high-end
components in the past...but have had to down-size. I am
using Magnepan 1.6 and will likely pair a Classe integrated
with them.....have had this in the past and enjoyed it. I
listen mainly to Jazz from cd and vinyl...and classical and
Jazz FM. I had just wondered if the L version was any real
improvement.
Thanks, Jim
I have had the Krell 300i, Classe Cap150 and the Levinson 383 in my home for various lenthgs of time. I returned the Krell as soon as I was able to compare it with the Classe. The Krell was too in-my-face and bright while the Classe was very satisfying and cost less. Later I bought a Levinson 383, much more expensive, and in the end the Classe had to go. Sold on audiogon for a decent return. I do not know about the "L" version but in the Krell room at the New York show I felt exactly the same in-your-face, over-bright sensation and I left quickly. I guess Krell is just not for me.
I own a Krell 300il for about 3 months and it runs very well with my Wadia. I also own a tube amp CJ MV-55 which I connect it directly to Wadia. To my ear, the Krell 300iL sounds great and like tube. I would rate CJ is slightly better for female vocal sound (4.5 vs 5.0). But in some CD, Krell 300iL is the winner. I do not notice any bright sound from this Krell at all.
I too own Magnepan 1.6qr's. I started with the Audio Refinement complete. A nice little integrated but not enough juice for the 1.6qr's. Next I bought the Krell 300il
integrated. Personally, I liked the Audio Refinement better, even underpowered.

Next I bought the Mcintosh MA 6450 integrated amp. Holy smokes! this amp opened up the maggies like I never heard them before. The Mcintosh is superb in build, function, and abilities. It is just great with the 1.6's. Hope this helps.