Audio Research comparison

I'd still like to get an un-biased comparison of the old Audio Research Power Amps: VT100 MkII, VT200, REF300 and the newer solid state input versions. I have heard opinions, but they have all been self serving. So I'd like to hear from someone who has really compared the two designs. Also I'm interested in the comparison of the new pre-amp designs with the older ones LS-25 Ref2 with the MkIIs.
blues_man
This thread demonstrates, again, how subjective and system dependent component evaluations in this hobby can be. I own both the LS25 MKI and VT100 MKII versions. I am using NOS tubes in my LS25. I have heard the new version with the FET low level input and 6H30 tubes. Technically, the VT100 MKIII my be better than the MKII, however I found the MKII version to be more musically satisfyiing: to wit, more liquidity and a sweeter top end. In so far as the LS25 MKII is concerned, I think the MKI with the NOS (6H23) equals the MKII version in terms of technical competence but exceeds it in terms of musicality. My observations were replicated by a friend who also had the opportunity to try all the iterations in his home system.
gmorris, was your friend using nos tubes on his ls25? anyway, of course it's all subjective and component dependent - this is what we all stew about in our sleep/lack of.
anyway we listened to the ls25mkI through a pair of arc300s. perhaps this brought out something unusual in the LS25. and changing the tubes should of course make a difference. as far as the vt100mkII vs mkIII i've heard many people say they prefer the mkII. i have the mkII but haven't yet heard the mkIII so i can't comment.
Yes, he was using the NOS 6H23 in both the LS25 MKI and VT100 MKII. Also, He had the LS25 MKII and the VT100 MKIII and liked neither. He claimed that "the magic was missing." He feels strongly that the older versions, with the NOS, were better sounding.

Incidentally, the LS25 MKI with the NOS 6H23 sounds like a different preamp. It became much more powerful, dynamic and robust,with greater slam in the midbass and lower bass. Also, there was greater transparency and richness in the midrange, with a wider and deeper soundstage. In summary, every musical parameter improved, without any downside.
I see people speaking of the LS25 MK1 and LS25 MKII. I have the Original LS25. Was there a MK1 and Then MKII. I can only Find LS25 and LS25 MKII Information I have been trying several Tubes. Mostly 6922 and ECC88. I have tested several tubes on a tube tester I have and find the philps 6922 test the closest and can get perfect matched 4 set tubes. Sound wise they seem smooth. To me they sound better that the Audio Research Factory tubes. Has anyone else tried these. Thanks Bob