where do you cross over your ht setup

hello. i am just wondering where everybody else crosses over there ht system at. thx says 80hz with speakers set to small. some speaker co. say set front mains at 60hz the rest set at 80hz set to small. i even read one speaker co. in a reveiw say 20-30hz and set speakers to large. if you are driving a full range speaker system with a stand alone powered sub what do you fellow audiogoners find best. also when using a spl meter do you set up your system at 75? thanks.
theaterhome
Theaterhome, I think what exertfluffer is saying in his thread is what I have been telling you to do. Stop reading those Audio Magazines.
Peace
faziod
I use the THX 80htz. I don not want to blow up my $4000 Vienna Acoustics speakers. The sub. can take all the punishmint the Hulk can dish out. Set the speakers for small and use the spl meter to set up the room. I have found the the big bass slam actually gets a little old after a while and listen to movies at a lower volume than when the HT was new.
Have fun
Tim
Like all things in life ,listen to all and do what makes sense.Audio mags have a wealth of info.Try not to get all caught up in the tech race for new gear.The guide to hometheater has great articles.Learning involves first putting a lock on your wallet and start reading all you can.This forum is a perfect example.Good luck gonners
First I must say everything im writing here assumes one has proper amplification for each channel in his system. It also assumes sustained SPL levels no greater than what each channel is capable of.

Crossing over at standards designed around large cinema's seating 100's of people simply has no place in HT. Crossing over at 80hz or higher when you have speakers capable of useful output much lower than this is a complete waste. You lose any stereo or surround low bass imaging mixed into the soundtrack and likely overwork your subwoofer. Forget all the THX/Dolby mumbo jumbo right now. Dont let people tell you that you low bass is non-directional. Its complete nonsense for many reasons. Sure, perhaps a 20hz note is near impossible to localize but 30hz and up this isn't completely true. Without getting into a huge discussion regarding low bass I will just offer some advice based on my experience.

Maximize the low bass output of each of your HT channels. This requires a processor that was not lazily designed around cinema standards and allows low enough settings for even full range loudspeakers. In my case I crossover my mains at 25hz, my center at 35hz, and my surrounds at 40hz. This allows each channel to operate to its potential while maintaining the channel integrity of the mix. This also protects the speakers with the processors built in high-slope crossovers by relieving them from bass duties they aren't equipped to handle.

My ideal system is 5 - 7 honest full range channels plus a dedicated LFE sub (or two) in a room designed around the system. This is simply not practical. Another way would be to integrate subwoofers into each channel and run full range. This requires a setup method like Vandersteen recommends with filters to roll off the signal before it gets to the amp (protects the speakers) and a subwoofer that compensates precisely for the filter. Although the results can be excellent, having 6 subwoofers and the wiring/filters needed for this would present spaghetti nightmares in my room.

Where does that leave us? Leaves me smiling. Leaves some of you wishing you had a processor that allows you to maximize the low bass potential of each your HT channels.

Vedric
Crossing over at 80hz in all ch. allows you to EQ one sub and avoid running EQ's in the mains.I have heard many people try the full range game and the only time it worked was in a room close to 20feet by thirty feet with a twelve foot ceiling.With that said,full range for two ch.and everything to the sub in HT.