In wall speakers?

Are there any in wall speakers that can sound as good as traditional speakers that are free standing away from the back and side walls such as we think of traditional 2 channel audio? Is it possible to attain good sound this way, or is it just a convenience, WAF factor issue??

R.
red2
Triad has some pretty beefy in-wall speakers.

The problem with In-walls is there is no space behind the speaker for the sound to hit the rear wall and reflect forward.

I think they can be pretty good for HT, but not a whole lot else.

i guess if you are not too picky about having "Audiophile" sound they are a very convinient, affordable, and WAF-happy option.
ive been playing with the idea of getting some In-walls for a HT surround setup in the livingroom and having a set of full-range traditional speakers for the 2 channel aspect.

Keeps all the extra speakers out of the way.
B&W makes their impressive signature line for in wall speakers. They also make a box that goes inside the wall that is optional that dramatically increases the sound. I had the luxury of listening to them at my local dealer. If I had to go in wall, there is no doubt I would go that route.

I think it's great that they moved their signature technology to in wall products as I am starting to do a little more custom installing.
Unfortunately I don't believ you will ever get a comparable sound out of an in-wall. Afetr all have you ever seen a speaker cabinet made of 2x4's and drywall?
But in years of helping people set up systems where in-wall was the choice I have found the Linn Sekrets to be the best bang4buck speaker.