What is The Best DVD player for VIDEO?

With a price up to 2300.00?

Again, not audio but video.

thanks
vegasgreed
I also used the Sony 7700 with my 36" Wega. Now i use the Arcam DV-89. It's a bit better picture-wise but day/night better audio-wise.
Drobin07, your caveats are well taken. My D1 did look great with my Sammy DLP, but would frequently have problems loading and finally gave up the ghost after about 7 months. Bravo has issued a RMA and maybe they will be stand-up about it, but it has been annoying. I have gone back to using a Sony DVP9000ES. The difference in picture quality is small, and everything else is superior. They are on Audiogon at regular intervals at about $500 and are a bargain at that price, considering the excellent build quality and audio performance. Denon is equally high quality and have just announced a new line of universal players, most of which have DVI and fit in your price range.
I have both a Sony (DVP-NS999ES) and an Arcam (DV-87). From a purely video-centric point of view, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

Sony Advantages

- provides best picture I've seen for videotape-sourced DVDs
- all kinds of options to tailor video output, probably more than anyone needs
- does not exhibit chroma bug (this only matters if you're sensitive to it)
- front panel display can be turned off
- has more bells and whistles than most people will ever use

Sony Disadvantages
- US model will not play anything but Region 1 NTSC discs
- picture not quite as "filmlike" with film-sourced DVDs
- has more bells and whistles than most people will ever use

Arcam Advantages
- provides the best picture I've seen for film-based DVDs, very cinematic
- plays PAL discs, even on an NTSC-only television
- can change regions or make region-free from the remote, no hacks or hardware changes necessary
- very simple menu structure

Arcam Disadvantages
- the remote control is very poorly laid out
- exhibits chroma bug; however, the effect is very mild and is less noticeable than most other players with the bug
- front panel display is bright and cannot be turned off
- very simple menu structure means not much fine-tuning control (although I don't think the player needs it)

From a sonics standpoint, the Sony plays SACDs and the Arcam doesn't. This may or may not matter to you. The Sony decodes DD and DTS, and can output decoded DVD-Vs through its 5.1 analog outs (with bass and speaker management). So, for someone with a pre/pro or receiver that doesn't decode DD or DTS but can accept a 5.1 analog output, this is the player. The Arcam decodes DD and DTS, but does not have 5.1 analog outs. The Arcam sounds substantially better than the Sony via two-channel analog outs. Arcam sounds marginally better on DVD-Vs through the coax digital out than the Sony. Arcam is substantially better on CDs, both via analog and digital outs. Arcam decodes HDCD.

Note - this is the cheapest Arcam DVD player. The more expensive ones are even better.

i'm not sure. i've been spending all of my time enjoying my 2 channel highend system to watch a movie. my friends that do watch movies say that get a cheap newer model with progressive scan.

dave