Veiwing distance.....

I am in a 13X19 room, screen is on short wall, my speakers are 9 feet apart and I have a Sony XBR WEGA 30 inch wide set, my question is for ideal viewing ditance for movies, not casual viewing wich dictates couch is close to back wall, but should I pull my couch up for movies? thanks for your continued help....Chad
chadnliz
Moving the couch is alot easier than a 175lb tv, plus it sits in a WAF wood center..so the cart cant even be a thought lol thanks ALL
What I used to do with my TV (36 inch 4:3 direct view CRT) was pull my chair up so that I was less than 5 feet from the screen. Then I would just change the speaker toe-in to greater toe-in. But I still left the speaker distance alone (still 9 foot apart, 2.5 feet from the rear wall). After all, I was "just" watching "movies." So I didn't think it was too critical.

Although I like Drew's idea of putting the TV stand on casters. But for me, I had my entire system on the stand, so pulling it out wouldn't have been easy when dealing with speaker cables. But that certainly let you not have to re-adjust your speakers.

If I cant move my speakers any closer together, what is the best happy medium for sight and sound in your guys' opinion?
This site may help: www.myhometheatre.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
2 to 3x's the width of the set back should be fine for most anything on that set. It will of course be better on 480p dvd and better material. I don't think I'd sweat anthing beyond this range for your size set. I mean, we're talking 30"!...not 60" plus.
However, the audio, that's another matter. Simply placing your couch on the back wall WILL YIELD you bad sound...that's garanteed. You have boomy unatural sound for certain. Really, you should start with your seating spot(s) at the 2/3's room distance, and the speakers at the 1/6 width/deepth possitions for 2 seats. If you do a stereo single seating position option instead, things change. Basically, it's whatever yields "flattest" frequency response, and maintains a good stage width/perspective.
I just have reservations about your sound quality, that's all. Your video, I don't worry about, because it's easy to figure for that...2 to 3x's the width is fine, or 1.5 to 2 x's the diagonal, and it's fine for most.
P.s., an easy trick most should use to figure best speaker locations, is to first get the seats away from the walls, more out in the 1/3's or 1/5 positions from width/deepth. Then, put speakers "bass woofer/port" where your ears will be. Then play some bass steady music, while you crawl around where you in the general area your speakers should go, listening for most solid, smoothest, even response. It will also measure right, and can/should be checked with a sound level meter and test tones.
The bass will sound fast, powerful, and accurate, not like a boom box. This should be done for all speakrs.
Good luck
More to discover