Veiwing distance.....

I am in a 13X19 room, screen is on short wall, my speakers are 9 feet apart and I have a Sony XBR WEGA 30 inch wide set, my question is for ideal viewing ditance for movies, not casual viewing wich dictates couch is close to back wall, but should I pull my couch up for movies? thanks for your continued help....Chad
chadnliz
This site may help: www.myhometheatre.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html
2 to 3x's the width of the set back should be fine for most anything on that set. It will of course be better on 480p dvd and better material. I don't think I'd sweat anthing beyond this range for your size set. I mean, we're talking 30"!...not 60" plus.
However, the audio, that's another matter. Simply placing your couch on the back wall WILL YIELD you bad sound...that's garanteed. You have boomy unatural sound for certain. Really, you should start with your seating spot(s) at the 2/3's room distance, and the speakers at the 1/6 width/deepth possitions for 2 seats. If you do a stereo single seating position option instead, things change. Basically, it's whatever yields "flattest" frequency response, and maintains a good stage width/perspective.
I just have reservations about your sound quality, that's all. Your video, I don't worry about, because it's easy to figure for that...2 to 3x's the width is fine, or 1.5 to 2 x's the diagonal, and it's fine for most.
P.s., an easy trick most should use to figure best speaker locations, is to first get the seats away from the walls, more out in the 1/3's or 1/5 positions from width/deepth. Then, put speakers "bass woofer/port" where your ears will be. Then play some bass steady music, while you crawl around where you in the general area your speakers should go, listening for most solid, smoothest, even response. It will also measure right, and can/should be checked with a sound level meter and test tones.
The bass will sound fast, powerful, and accurate, not like a boom box. This should be done for all speakrs.
Good luck
At the risk of belabouring the point, I think the site I offered will provide "ideal" ratios. Ratios are ratios after all. I do agree that for most people (just not typical neurotic Audiogoners)the 1.5 to 2 X diagonal screen size to distance will work just fine. While Chadnliz have been using their speakers along the short wall, its been my experience that when using speakers parallel to the long wall, that the listening position is best when seated near the opposing wall. The problem then is with frequencies that have faster reflections off the back wall.This easily remedied with some simple room treatment. Its been my experience that bass response is actually superior in this configuration.
More to discover