Vinyl vs. CD

Hey out there,I've been listening to a high quality CD playback system for the past couple years and have recently become interested in going to turntable rig.(I still have an LP collection).I have a quality tube pre with phono and decided to buy an inexpensive turntable to spin some of my old favorites (Rega 2 with grado silver) I had no pre-conceived notion of what would sound better,I just remember the enjoyment I got from playing Hendrix, Rolling Stones ect.on an a good ole' record player.After listening to the Rega for a few days I switched back to CD's (Meridian 500 trans 566/24 dac)and found that the remastered CD issues of the same LP's sounded alot better.Must I drop several K's to experience "Vinyl Dreams" ?
mar00
Unfortunately, both formats are necessary. I already stated that the majority of new music is not released as LP. It would indeed be a shame to miss out on all of the new music, some of which is excellent. Anyway, Carl's description is accurate as to some of the advantages of LP, and it really frustrates me to hear what my analog system is capable of, and not have access to many of the new artists. I can only hope that some new digital format will eventually come along and equal the best (analog) LP system. Truly, I would LOVE that to happen, I am ready for something SIMPLE that would make me happy. So far though, simple and excellence has been about as accessible as finding a new Porsche 9 series at econo box car prices. I originally hoped too, that the SACD format would be the salvation in this matter. Sony has (almost) the resources of Bill Gates, and is positioned with software to back up the venture. It is regrettable that Sony's desire for even greater profit margins are so important, that it smothers the possibility to provide excellence in a new format. Don't get me wrong, I have Sony products all over my home, even a Sony DVD transport in my own high end system, but it is disappointing to hear what LP can do, a format that is over half a century old, then, one has to wonder why some of today's massive and radical technology does not trickle down, at least a little bit, to us audiophiles that would really appreciate it. By the way, NOISE is NOT a problem with a great LP rig. Those who state that it is have had the unfortunate experience of hearing either bad software, bad hardware, a poorly set up turntable, or all three. If you don't want to get sucked into analog, be glad you have never heard it right. It is truly amazing what the extra quality can do when it is placed at the very beginning of the hi fi chain.
Forget Vinyl. Why would you want to hear cracks and pops, wow and flutter, groove sounds and a myriad of other distortions. Only masochists would ! Granted, original CDs sounded strident but that has changed with improvements in recordings and production. Redbook CD is the medium that should satisfy 99.99% of audiophiles almost regardless of the equipment they use.
No more digital/analog nightmare?Sony have THE answer? Look at analog and digital recording,resonably good whatever,but then you have too reproduce the studio work in your home,its here it ALL begins. Gramofhone,making mekano movement to elect.impuls, dont work.Nobody who have been in a studio and listened to reel_music would say that a grammo can sound like that. At least 20% are missing.But we recon what we hear as our Analog alternative. Digital Are better!Not much are missing,and we learn! BUT you have to use digital filter on a digital recording, and analog on a analog recording and shape it likewise. Thats why SONY has placed 9 koefc.filters on there better CD.s since -96 so you can listen to take thr right one, at a spec.recording.But with all the standards in use while recording it is hard to make it funktion,Thats one of the reson to SuperAudio CD,to take controll over All What is happening in the studio,so that we only have to think about "Getting the right fase,The current in the diff countries in the world Even SONY can get controll over". So grammos are a relic fromlast centure.But analog recordings vill survive. Excuse my spelling, Greetings from Sweden
Surely you jest Fear3000 (Felix) especially coming from a vinylphile like yourself? But I must agree. CD recordings are improving. In addition the remasterings, especially of rock is easier to listen to than the vinyl of the same in most cases. All things being equal, Carl sums it up quite nicely, the continuousness (resolution) of vinyl is still top dog on an absolute level and I bet all doubting Thomas would be convinced if they could hear a analog great set-up. That said my digital front end with the Bel Canto has put listener fatigue in remission for the time being and I sure welcome the convenience. Now it is time to work on my analog front end. When is this ever going to end?
carl, i'm not surprised that yer vinyl rig surpasses the quality of yer cd rig. but, yust *imagine* the improvements to yer vinyl yude realize w/an upgrade to yer preamp. i only have to assume that yer preamp could use upgrading, as ewe previously mentioned not wanting to reveal its make/model because ewe said "i'd make fun of it". well, all joking aside, i tink yude really be amazed how much improvement a good preamp can make. not that it could possibly improve the sound of yer res-audio cd-player run straight-in... ;~) doug